School tank build log to date, finally getting there

Ludwigia73

Reef Reef Reef Reef Reef
Premium Member
Hey all, Been awhile since I posted, thought I'd throw some pics and tell of my trials and tribulations.

Firstly, I've had around 20 reef tanks over the years, sometimes with 2 or 3 at the same time. I've gone from 2 gal mantis tank all the way to 125 gal full reef. I've never had so many issues with a tank in my life. I think I've finally got it nailed down, though.

I started with a 40 gal extra long, caribsea sand, and marco rocks from Beverly's. I got quite a bit of my equipment from them, got a great deal on a used Reef Octopus skimmer (double skimmer), and some Watt Shine black box LED's off ebay. Set it up, and let it cycle.

Once the cycle was done, it was time for parent's orientation, where I presented the tank to each class, made a pitch about how great it was going to be, and how the tank was on my girlfriend's wish list for gifts (I arranged for Aquatic Jewels to "sponsor" the tank, gave out cards, and asked for gift cards to help get the tank off the ground). Lots of interest, but absolutely zero help from anyone. I don't have to tell anyone here how expensive it is to get a reef tank off the ground. I added some livestock, a couple of zoa frags, and 2 blue damsels (not for cycling, I wanted them for the tank), and a sixline wrasse. 1 damsel, the sixline, and all snails died within a week. Checked my salinity (swing arm instant ocean), was spot on, tested everything else, looked good. Was running cold, so added a heater. Also added an aquaclear filter at this time. Noticed the huge skimmer was overskimming, so sold that and bought a small Reef Octopus. Much better. It was at this time the cyano started, figured the cycle started over again. This was at about 2 months. Cleaned the sandbed, did a few water changes, seemed to get straight. Water changes were being accomplished with Instant Ocean salt. Had a couple more fish, royal gramma, a small clown, and another sixline. Royal gramma and clown died a few days later.

Ripping my hair out, took a water sample in, found the salinity was at 1.037. Hydrometer was crap. Bought a refractometer, stabilized the salinity, everything seemed to level off. Also, bought a tds meter and found the RO water I was buying was at 8 (ridiculous). Still had one damsel and the sixline, and somehow a frogspawn and the gsp made it through although they looked ugly. They started coming back, and one colony of zoas opened a little, and continued to improve. Added an engineer goby and lawnmower blennie.

Then came a huge outbreak of cyano, or so I thought. Found out they were dinoflagellates, and that killed every snail and the 2 urchins I put in for cleanup.

Used chemiclean, now it's cleaned up, did a couple of water changes with natural salt, and everything is looking great. THe frogspawn, gsp, and zoas are coming back nicely, and a couple of shrooms are doing well.

I'm looking for anyone that would consider donating or cheap frags so we can get it back going again. Looking for colorful zoas (don't have to be named, or expensive, just something to grow), monti cap, duncan, or fast growing sps. I can pay for them, but I'm just about tapped out so anything you can do for me would be great. The kids have really responded to this setup, and it would be great to get it going. It's been 4 months, and alot of work to get to this point.

I am also watching for a sailfin tang, a goby/shrimp pair, an anemone, and 2 clowns. If anyone sees any amazing deals, let me know...

Pics to come next post

Chris

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Can donate some frags but I live in Coral Springs and am not near you. I Can also donate some chemipure,chemiclean and some coral Rx to dip your corals.

Beggars can't be choosers, of course...

Sra, what is a carnation leather exactly... is that a nepthea, and kenya tree, cabbage leather? Not familiar with that one.

DrThompson, what frags do you have? I want to make sure they're hardy, before I'd make the trip.

I'll pm you my phone number.

sra, I'm guessing you're talking about a dendronepthyea, if so, I don't think this tank is ready for that, nor is it going to be suitable for that. They are gorgeous corals, but I don't think the salinity swings are going to work with that coral.

Thanks for offering, but I'll respectfully have to pass, I'd rather you sell it to someone that can give it a good home than to take it for free and most likely it will perish.

I could swing by tonight... I come down i95, from boca raton to Hollywood... sending you my # in a pm. Hopefully you get it

Back