Sea-lab Blocks????

Jaynap

I just wanted to hear what some of the more experienced aquarists thought about the use of the sea-lab blocks for supplementing trace elements and calcium etc.

I don't use them but I have a couple of friends who do and they have no problems with them. The trick is to find the correct placement so they dissolve at the rate appropiate for your aquarium.

The sealab block has multiple trace elements... I dont add anything to my tank that I cannot test for. (synthethic salt excluded)... just my .02.

The HBH blocks have 71 trace elements and minerals and 3 types of calcium versus the sea lab blocks that have 28 trace elements and minerals and 1 type of calcium. And the HBH blocks are about half the cost. I use the HBH blocks all the time and add nothing else. The trick to not having the HBH or the sea lab blocks dissolve to fast is putting them in a low flow area of the sump or tank. If they are in a med. - fast flow area they will dissovle in a day or two.
Matt

I love the swa lab blocks, great with the trace elements, I test for quite a few and they are always in range... I see that its a nano tank so just be careful that your Ca doesnt get to high, as that will stunt your coral and coraline growth. Those things are pretty potent.

Thanks for the imput. It sounds like there are mixed feelings about this topic as well as every other topic in these forums.

I should have included that my 40 gallon FOWLR is now a mixed tank containing SPS LPS zoos and maybe clams.

I am going to try the HBH blocks and see how it goes.

Why shoulder the expense? I've used the blocks, and they work fine. They are also expensive and you still have to use a buffer. Regular water changes with a good salt mix should handle your "trace elements." And Randy's two-part will handle the rest cheaply.

I think that I agree with you (Gilies) in that regular water changes should take care of the trace elements, and also that the blocks are expensive. I have thought about it further and decided to suplement in other ways. What does Randys Two-Part take care of specifically. Is Kalkwasser a good way to intruduce more Ca???

Thanks for your responses, and please keep them coming.

I also dose Kalkwasser using a Tunze Osmolator and dispencer. I use Mrs. Wages pickling lime for this, which is super cheap. The only problem you may encounter with lime water is that it may not keep up with your calcium demand if you have lots of SPS or clams.

Randy's two part will take care of your system's need for calcium and buffer to maintain alkalinity. It is a pretty darn good formula that is easy and cheap. The only thing that may be better is a quality calcium reactor that is well set up (expensive and not always easy to dial in).

My 2 cents.

Thanks Gillies---
Im searching the Randys two part solution right now to find a place where its available.

Back