SEABay Hosts Fernando Nosratpour - 7/15

Reefcherie

Premium Member
July 15, 2006 7:00pm] See www.seabay.org for directions.

SEABay Guest Speaker: Fernando Nosratpour]

"Acropora and Flatworm Parasites"

Fernando Nosratpour is an Assistant Aquarium Curator at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps. In the fall of 2003, the Birch Aquarium at Scripps lost two of its large Acropora colonies due to flatworm parasites. Both the Colonies had resided in an Indo-pacific reef tank for over eight years and had spawned a number of times. Fernando will discuss his subsequent investigations into these parasitic flatworms and the techniques used to try to control/eradicate these pests without harming their host(i.e., corals).

We'll have our usual fundraiser and goodies to eat! Hope to see you there!

The fundraiser tonight will include a full registration (including all sessions, trade show, reception and gala banquet) for MACNA XVIII coming up in Houston, TX 9/22-24 (transportation not included), a used 45-gallon tank and stand, as well as a variety of gift certificates and donated frags!

Hey Cherie!

I can't make it tonight, family in town, but please tell Fernando that I say hello!

Rich

Will there be a transcript available of the lecture he gave ? and/or a link to the data he accumulated as a result of the infestation and their subsequent "battles" with the flatworm parasites ?

He's giving the same talk at MACNA in September, and he hopes to have more information to include by then. I doubt he'd be willing to post anything or allow SEABay to do so prior to MACNA, but I can ask him about making something available afterwards.

Rich - I said hello for you and Fernando sends greetings in return!

Re: SEABay Hosts Fernando Nosratpour - 7/15

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7732277#post7732277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefcherie
[Bthe techniques used to try to control/eradicate these pests without harming their host(i.e., corals)[/B]

From the way it was phrased, it doesn't sound like he was any more successful at controlling/erradicting them than anyone else has been. Can you at least confirm that much ?

Thanks.

Fernando believes he's correctly identified the flatworm as Apidioplana sp. based on visual ID from the book "Marine Flatworms-the world of polyclads". He has not been successful yet in finding a way to eradicate them w/o killing the corals as well. He's learning something of the creature's biology based upon his study, but more study is required. He hopes to have more information available by the time he speaks at MACNA in late September.

Back