So I think I found the Holy Grail in Refugium Lighting

If anyone wants the clamp set up with this led let me know. I ran this last year, but I no longer run a fuge. It's just sitting in garage collecting dust.

Agree with Bobby, grows cheato quickly!

Day 1 Installation

20 Days Later :eek2:

The Cheato Growth is cool but that is not what catches my main attention.

What I find to be note worthy is that I don't have any bleached Chaeto. It is all dark green and healthy. Typically from my experience with grow LED's they tend to burn the Chaeto.

Another area of interest is no Cyano. At times I will have some nasty Cyano start to grow in the refugium area. Not in this case - it is all clean Cheato growth.

24 watts each. (or less)

Lifespan: 50,000 - 100,000 hours (I assume heat is the leading variable influencing life span.)

Got the pair on sale for $17. :thumbsup:

40 Gallon Refugium 24 x 24 x 16.

Photo Period 12 hours.

Spectrum: 3 bands

• 460nm
  • 630nm
  • 660nm

LEDs Quantity: 12Pcs

LEDs Brand: Epistar

Light output is blended and well balanced.

Current Chaeto would easily fill an entire 5 gallon bucket!

No GFO online. 20% water changes every two weeks. Bare bottom 300DD display. SPS only. Running an equivalent SRO 6000 INT Skimmer. BRS Rox Carbon. No Filter socks. (Filter socks and sand are the devil)

Light/Light Medium bio load. 5 Tangs and a few smaller fish. (Keep in mind a 300DD)

Yes those are 6 Marine Pure Media Blocks, I went a little crazy. Found a great deal on them.

Absolutely no sign of algae in main display. (very fortunate) :dance:

Figured I would share my findings to help others looking for a well balanced refugium light solution.

Wishing everyone continued success.

Dude, your system is a damn clone, of my system! Or mine is a clone of yours lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the light I just installed yesterday and already the cyano in my fuge is gone! Increased my low pH point by about .8!

f702c4377d8abdbd86320042a273bf41.jpg

f7ee567a7f05287994c08dd26e3835c0.jpg

Consumes and actual 132 watts! So it's pretty powerful!

Through my experiences what I have discovered:

The Red and Blue Spectrum encourages stronger or more rapid results of photosynthesis.

Too much power or too much wattage has caused huge cyano and other nuisance algae problems for me in my refugium.

These lower powered bulbs grow the macro algae without any other nuisance algae issues. Granted whatever you grow in the refugium is exporting nutrients out of your display, but for me, I don't run high nutrients in my SPS display. So the way I have my refugium set up is perfect for my needs.

If you have a higher wattage grow light, if you are experiencing cyano and other nuisance algae maybe turning down the power if you have a control knob.

Every tank is different. As you know, there is not one way fits all. Many people have been successful with other types of refugium lights. Just wanted to share with everyone what had worked for me with positive results.

Through my experiences what I have discovered:

The Red and Blue Spectrum encourages stronger or more rapid results of photosynthesis.

Too much power or too much wattage has caused huge cyano and other nuisance algae problems for me in my refugium.

These lower powered bulbs grow the macro algae without any other nuisance algae issues. Granted whatever you grow in the refugium is exporting nutrients out of your display, but for me, I don't run high nutrients in my SPS display. So the way I have my refugium set up is perfect for my needs.

If you have a higher wattage grow light, if you are experiencing cyano and other nuisance algae maybe turning down the power if you have a control knob.

Every tank is different. As you know, there is not one way fits all. Many people have been successful with other types of refugium lights. Just wanted to share with everyone what had worked for me with positive results.

My cyano disappeared the fist day after I replace the PAR 38 5500k home bulb with the grow light.

Back