Starfish infestation

phlipper84

Not sure if this is the right location or not, but I figure it is the best place to start. My tank has a large amount (my wife calls it an infestation) of what I believe to be brittle starfish. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic, but I will try to remedy that tomorrow. Anyhow, they start at maybe a 1/2" in length and are tremendously squiggly. During a recent run of aquascaping, we have discovered that a few have matured to roughly 3 inches across. I don't think they are reef dangerous, not being a harder bodied starfish. The main question is the sheer amount of them. I am talking like every rock seems to have them buried in the crevices. Wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at how many. The question is can there possibly be too many? I have a coral banded shrimp that someone told me would help to control the population, but I think he can't eat fast enough! Has anyone else encountered this problem? And solved it?

I currently have this occurance in my tank too. However, why do you want to get rid of them? Brittle stars can help sift through the gravel/sand bed, keeping your water clean for a longer amount of time.

If there were too many, they would die off. I would let them eat as much detritus as they want. :)

Excessive amounts of any detritivore would indicate that the tank is being overfed/underskimmed. The population can only grow to the level that food will allow.

If you are looking to get rid of some, i would be happy to take a handfull of them for you? I am willing to swing by and pick them up if you are avalible....

I had literally thousands of them. Then I bought my Deltec. Sort of wish I still had more. They are cool any my son loved to look for them in the rock.

If you want to get rid of any please let me know, I would gladly take them off your hands!

=)

Thanks,
Paul

Back