Starting back after 8 years. Need advice on reusing rock.

I shut down my 125 gallon about 8 years ago. I started a freshwater tank about a year ago and now I just can't help myself lol. I am gonna be setting up a small 29 gallon with very light stocking. I have about 100 lbs of rock I've been holding onto in my basement that I want to re use. I plan on soaking the rock with flow salt and heat for a month or 2 and then adding into the tank with ocean direct sand and some live rock rock for seeding.

My question is what should be monitoring when I'm soaking the rock for the first time? And should I be changing that water out periodically or just letting it ride? Also I would appreciate any incites I may not have thought of.

Thanks!

I shut down my 125 gallon about 8 years ago. I started a freshwater tank about a year ago and now I just can't help myself lol. I am gonna be setting up a small 29 gallon with very light stocking. I have about 100 lbs of rock I've been holding onto in my basement that I want to re use. I plan on soaking the rock with flow salt and heat for a month or 2 and then adding into the tank with ocean direct sand and some live rock rock for seeding.

My question is what should be monitoring when I'm soaking the rock for the first time? And should I be changing that water out periodically or just letting it ride? Also I would appreciate any incites I may not have thought of.

Thanks!
If phosphate starts leaching out change some water, otherwise let it ride. I'd add the seed rock right at the beginning.

Welcome back to the hobby.

My old tank (92 corner bowfront) was set up with dry rock and seeding of live rock. I developed some horrible algae issues over time. When I broke the tank down, I put the rock into a 40 gallon Brute trashcan with SW, heater and a pump to circulate. I've been doing periodic 5 gallon water changes on it for a couple years now :ROFLMAO:

In anticipation of upgrading the current 40 breeder to a 75, I've increased the frequency of the water changes and I've started running GFO on the trashcan in an attempt to ensure there are no phosphates continuing to leach from the rock.

Welcome back to the hobby.

My old tank (92 corner bowfront) was set up with dry rock and seeding of live rock. I developed some horrible algae issues over time. When I broke the tank down, I put the rock into a 40 gallon Brute trashcan with SW, heater and a pump to circulate. I've been doing periodic 5 gallon water changes on it for a couple years now :ROFLMAO:

In anticipation of upgrading the current 40 breeder to a 75, I've increased the frequency of the water changes and I've started running GFO on the trashcan in an attempt to ensure there are no phosphates continuing to leach from the rock.
Yea I used dry rock the last time as well so I pretty much expect to be fighting algae for awhile. I do have a good canister I could turn into a media reactor for gfo although I've read mixed reviews on using a canister for gfo. Not gonna be running a sump on this tank so a regular media reactor isn't in the picture.

I never used gfo in the past but running on while rocks are cooking is interesting does the gfo just bind to the phosphate that leaches into the water column or does it help in actually extracting it from the rock?

Yea I used dry rock the last time as well so I pretty much expect to be fighting algae for awhile. I do have a good canister I could turn into a media reactor for gfo although I've read mixed reviews on using a canister for gfo. Not gonna be running a sump on this tank so a regular media reactor isn't in the picture.

I never used gfo in the past but running on while rocks are cooking is interesting does the gfo just bind to the phosphate that leaches into the water column or does it help in actually extracting it from the rock?
Not really a chemistry guy, but my understanding is, of PO4 in the water column is low, it will leach from the rocks and then the gfo can remove it.

I've read mixed reviews on using a canister for gfo.
If you run pure GFO it will turn into a solid block, however you can make a mixture with activated carbon and then the gfo can't stick together. You could also use phosguard instead of GFO and not have the problem at all.

Never heard of it but cool.
Back before Petco bought them out, DFS sold a similar product and I started using it. It worked great. Then, the Petco acquisition happened and they stopped carrying it. I found the Pura and have been using that. But, it appears it is no longer being manufactured either.

Back