Starting up old JBJ nano - Advice on mods?

jmorgan315

Been out of the hobby for a few years and getting back into it now. Before buying a whole new setup, I'm pulling out my old JBJ 24g nano to start. I've done plenty of sw tanks( full size and nano) but this will be my first nano reef.

Any advice on mods to the existing tank?

Pic below of initial set up and scape (still a bit cloudy)

36880ab1b43f3abd30f5348de6f5bfdf.jpg

Couple of things I'm considering:

1. remove existing built-on lid/light
- I have a cheaper LED fixture on the way
- any recommendations for screens/tops for a curved front? Not much out there pre-built for the curve.

2. Rework the built-in sump.
- I'm not going to add a separate sump but need advice on what I should include in the 2 chambers. By default it has sponge + carbon bag + ceramic rings + ceramic balls. I scrapped all that with the tear down and am starting fresh
- best option for filtration? Just bio or add nanoskimmer?

3. Increase flow
- I'm upgrading the submersible return pump and have a Hydor Nano on the way

Any other feedback or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I had my JBJ tank, I added a hang on back skimmer, upgraded the return pump, and went with a modded light hood as well. I did not go with a sump, but looking back, that might have been a good idea.

When I had my JBJ tank, I added a hang on back skimmer, upgraded the return pump, and went with a modded light hood as well. I did not go with a sump, but looking back, that might have been a good idea.

Thanks! I ended up just removing the hood and the rim as well. Still have to get some remaining silicone off but it looks completely different now. I think I'm going to use the rim as a base for a screen too and therefore don't have to worry about custom curving anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 24 nano too same tank. I found a hang on skimmer (especially nowadays) and just rock rubble in the back worked best. Unless you clean your sponges every 2-3 days it will for sure load up on nitrates. At one point I also used a nitrate sponge in a small reactor and it worked wonders.

Can you fit a eshopps nano skimmer in the sump area? None of the hang on skimmers did much for me. It works like a champ and so small.

Attachments

• photo411763.jpg
    photo411763.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 3
Back