Stock list for 175g Peninsula

PAXpress

I wouldn't really consider myself completely new to the hobby, I've had a saltwater tank for (a few now) for a little over 2 years. I do however consider myself new to a bigger tank that can have a fairly higher stocklist.

I've recently purchased a 650L Red Sea Peninsula, and am in the fish-less cycling process currently. The display size is around 140 gallons combined with sump it is a total of 175 gallons. Added some rocks from my 75 gallon and some rubble in the sump and a bit of ammonia and have been watching the cycle begin. Mounted lights started hooking up equipment etc. It'll be a long process but I'm starting to think about my eventual stock list and have no experience in some of the fish that require a larger tank size. With the 75 I was fairly limited on what I could stock and wanted to keep a light stock list. In the 75 I currently have two black and white occelaris clownfish, a royal gramma, and a bangaii cardinal. I'd like to be able to take all of these over to the new tank but if incompatibilities exist I have a 54g with a light stock list they can move to instead.

I do also have a 40 breeder that I was thinking of making into a frag tank but have decided I want to break it down. In this tank is a orange occelaris clown that I'd like to introduce into the 175 with the other two clowns I already have. I have two Rose Bubble tip anemones with the b&w clowns currently. What would be the best way to get these guys to live in harmony together? Or is it just a toss up/impending doom regardless?

I'm looking for advice on the fish that I like and would like to keep in the tank, everything that I should know about them, acclimation, feeding needs, tank mate aggression, order of introduction, etc. I'll list the fish I'm interested in keeping and of course I'm sure some will not be able to be kept together and I understand that, that's the point of this post.

I was very interested in the Emperor Angel but after a bit more research found that the juveniles are the ones with the very spectacular look and the adults are not as spectacular imo at least. Also reading that they require around 220 gallons which is not where I'm at so I guess I'll be passing on this one.

Here is the list I was looking at:
Melanurus Wrasse - Not so much for the looks but more for the benefits they can provide, correct me if I'm wrong here please.
Yellow Tang - Really like these guys but if they don't work with others on the list I'd probably drop this one first. Also would multiple Yellow tangs work if added at the same time?
Blue tang - This one seems to be one that might not be a good addition but still like it and looking for others advice on whether it would be a problem. See mention of 180 gallon (in capacity I'm close) and 6ft long tank (mine is 5.5ft) Like them a lot but would hate myself if I killed it.
Flame Angel - Looking at the reef angels I guess this one I like 2nd to the Emperor (juve.) but am open to other angel options out there.
Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Desjardini) - Think I favor these over the Pacific Sailfin Tangs but would like to have both if that's possible? Or multiple but of course don't want any problems.
Anthias - I really like almost all of the Anthias I've seen but know very little about them. Recommendations?
Mandarin - I'm thinking this will be one of the last additions once the tank is a year or so old and has a healthy pod population. However maybe the others in the tank will prevent the mandarin from getting enough food if so I guess I'll pass on him.
Jawfish - Want someone with a lot of character and have always seen these interesting little fellows at the fish store and thought they would be a neat addition.
+Recommendations!
I want to keep the stock list manageable, don't want crazy nitrate problems in the future but don't want an empty looking tank.
And as stated above the two black and white occe clowns, the lone orange occe clown, the royal gramma, and the cardinal I'd like to keep with these as well.
I know very little about all of these and only know what I can find via google in a few minutes. I'll of course do a lot more research before I add anything and would love any advice anyone can give.
Appreciate the time everyone!

Maybe look into one of the Mimic Tangs. You could do 3 small/medium tangs in that size tank. How about a Yellow tang, Chocolate Mimic Tang, and a Chevron Tang. Nice combo.

i actually have a blue tang and desjardini sailfin as my 2 tangs in my 180, blue tang i have had for going on 5 years and the sailfin about a year. blue tang stopped growing around 3.5 inches, and sailfin stopped around a little more than 4.

ill give you my stock list for my 180 reef
yellow clown goby
tailspot blenny
desjardini sailfin tang
blue tang
blue jaw triggerfish
2 pyramid butterfly fish
harlequim tusk
snowflake eel
leopard wrasse
multicolor wrasse
pink margin wrasse
pintail wrasse
solor wrasse
green mandarin
diamond sand sifting goby
2 ocellaris clown fish
bangai cardinalfish

and imo i can add a few more small fish like wrasses or rock dwellers like gobies.
my mandarin is still fat and happy with the leopard wrasse (another pod feeder) which is also very fat too. my tank is on the more aggressive side especially for a community reef with tangs, a trigger, tusk, eel, etc.
in the wild i have seen sailfin tangs get up to like 16 inches. huge ones, they never get that big in a tank.

i actually have a blue tang and desjardini sailfin as my 2 tangs in my 180, blue tang i have had for going on 5 years and the sailfin about a year. blue tang stopped growing around 3.5 inches, and sailfin stopped around a little more than 4.

ill give you my stock list for my 180 reef
yellow clown goby
tailspot blenny
desjardini sailfin tang
blue tang
blue jaw triggerfish
2 pyramid butterfly fish
harlequim tusk
snowflake eel
leopard wrasse
multicolor wrasse
pink margin wrasse
pintail wrasse
solor wrasse
green mandarin
diamond sand sifting goby
2 ocellaris clown fish
bangai cardinalfish

and imo i can add a few more small fish like wrasses or rock dwellers like gobies.
my mandarin is still fat and happy with the leopard wrasse (another pod feeder) which is also very fat too. my tank is on the more aggressive side especially for a community reef with tangs, a trigger, tusk, eel, etc.
in the wild i have seen sailfin tangs get up to like 16 inches. huge ones, they never get that big in a tank.
This is awesome thanks for the info! Think I'll skip the eel however my wife would like one not sure why shes so fascinated, I'd rather not have to lock down the top of the tank! I'm fine with jump proofing it, however don't think I'll be escape proofing it!
I guess this is where we'll start seeing conflicting advice considering my tank is CLOSE to being able to home some of the larger tangs but not really quite big enough which is fine to me. I'll look through your list however I'm liking the idea of a lot of what you have!

Have you taken receipt of the tank as yet? I am seriously interested in this tank design and was looking for some feedback on any current owners. Could you see this as positioned away from wall approximately 2 feet? Wife wants to use to separate Living Room from entry but I have some wall switches for Porch I would be hard pressed to move.

Any feedback on stand construction and setup? How are you planning on installing powerheads? I cant see running the 3 three sideviews with powerheads.

Sincerely,

David

Have you taken receipt of the tank as yet? I am seriously interested in this tank design and was looking for some feedback on any current owners. Could you see this as positioned away from wall approximately 2 feet? Wife wants to use to separate Living Room from entry but I have some wall switches for Porch I would be hard pressed to move.

Any feedback on stand construction and setup? How are you planning on installing powerheads? I cant see running the 3 three sideviews with powerheads.

Sincerely,

David
Hey! not sure what you mean by the first sentence. I've setup the tank its running cycled and has 2 fish, a shrimp and 2 corals in it currently working up to more stock in it. I dont think it would look so great with a gap between the wall and the tank, however be sure to be smarter than me and at least give yourself an inch for POWER cables jeez that was a DOH! moment.
I actually had purchased an ecotech pump and didnt leave myself room for it behind the tank. Then after thinking about it the gyre seemed like a better idea. So now I have the gyre in the tank. I used the overflow box to mount it. Puts out plenty of flow and dont need another in my opinion. It was super snug to get the magnet in the overflow box and if I were to accidently drop it down into there I dont think I'd ever get it back haha. Seemed like a perfect fit though.
I think you should be able to get an electrician to move the wall switches for a reasonable price. I added two outlets on a dedicated breaker for my tank. I have a buddy that does that kind of work though so I was able to do that for the cost of a box of pizza! I think you could have it moved away from the wall but two feet seems like it would stand out too much at least in my opinion.
As for feedback on the stand construction make sure you have plenty of room and two to three strong friends to help move the tank. The stand didnt take too long to assemble I had to redo a part because I did it upside down and i only a week ago (had the tank for 3 months now) figured out how to properly adjust the door hinges (theres two screws one adjusts distance outwards and one adjust how close left or right the door rests, very helpful to make the doors close properly!) I wouldnt put any powerheads on the sides but if you're spacing the tank from the wall you could put some MP40's on either side of the overflow box easily, think the gyre would give you the most flow on the opposite end though. I have too much flow in the tank when i take it above 30% (only lps currently no demanding corals).
I recently built a screen topper for the tank and kinda dont like the job I did plus its hard because of how long the tank is. May redo that in the future may just take it off if none of my fish are known jumpers... Still need to determine a stock list for the tank... Will post a picture or two.

Heres just a few pics of the tank.

Heres just a few pics of the tank.

Couldnt get all the files to upload but you get the point. Ignore the hydor pump that was while I waited on the Gyre to show up.

Attachments

• IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
Here is the list I was looking at:
Melanurus Wrasse - Not so much for the looks but more for the benefits they can provide, correct me if I'm wrong here please.
Yellow Tang - Really like these guys but if they don't work with others on the list I'd probably drop this one first. Also would multiple Yellow tangs work if added at the same time?
Blue tang - This one seems to be one that might not be a good addition but still like it and looking for others advice on whether it would be a problem. See mention of 180 gallon (in capacity I'm close) and 6ft long tank (mine is 5.5ft) Like them a lot but would hate myself if I killed it.
Flame Angel - Looking at the reef angels I guess this one I like 2nd to the Emperor (juve.) but am open to other angel options out there.
Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Desjardini) - Think I favor these over the Pacific Sailfin Tangs but would like to have both if that's possible? Or multiple but of course don't want any problems.
Anthias - I really like almost all of the Anthias I've seen but know very little about them. Recommendations?
Mandarin - I'm thinking this will be one of the last additions once the tank is a year or so old and has a healthy pod population. However maybe the others in the tank will prevent the mandarin from getting enough food if so I guess I'll pass on him.
Jawfish - Want someone with a lot of character and have always seen these interesting little fellows at the fish store and thought they would be a neat addition.

So I think you are on a pretty good track only a couple things I would be concerned with on this list!

1. Most large angels will not do well if a reef tank, do some people keep them sure can it work sure, but they do like LPS. if your willing to get some of your coral eaten then they are a beautiful fish! most times they will be fine then one morning you will wake up, and a rock full of Lobophyllia will be gone lol! so its up to you if you want to take the risk!

2.Anthias are AWESOME fish one of the few schooling fish that don't kill each other off! They are serious eaters they need to be feed between 4-5 times a day! at least most species that I know do!

3. One sailfin is probably the most I would do, if I did get one because they get SOOO big! 2 sailfins will most likely turn into one as they are pretty aggressive! might even attack the yellows since they are similar body types.

4.Jawfish require a good amount of sand in the tank provided you have that should be a problem!

Your list is pretty good and think you could definitely add a couple more fish if you wanted! hope this helps!

Last edited:
So I think you are on a pretty good track only a couple things I would be concerned with on this list!

1. Most large angels will not do well if a reef tank, do some people keep them sure can it work sure, but they do like LPS. if your willing to get some of your coral eaten then they are a beautiful fish! most times they will be fine then one morning you will wake up, and a rock full of Lobophyllia will be gone lol! so its up to you if you want to take the risk!

2.Anthias are AWESOME fish one of the few schooling fish that don't kill each other off! They are serious eaters they need to be feed between 4-5 times a day! at least most species that I know do!

3. One sailfin is probably the most I would do, if I did get one because they get SOOO big! 2 sailfins will most likely turn into one as they are pretty aggressive! might even attack the yellows since they are similar body types.

4.Jawfish require a good amount of sand in the tank provided you have that should be a problem!

Your list is pretty good and think you could definitely add a couple more fish if you wanted! hope this helps!
Thanks, its been a while since I said anything here however I did end up getting some fish.
For now I have a chromi and a cardinal that came from someone breaking down their tank.
Just this past weekend added some tangs and had some help from Cris at aquatic art in picking out ones that should have aggression issues.
I got a Desjardini tang, Purple Tang, Maculiceps tang, yellow eye kole tang, and a fox faced rabbit fish. So far haven't had any problems with aggression and did a water change of about 15-20% 4 days after adding them just in case there was any buildup of anything nasty. I appreciate the advice and will probably wait until I have an autofeeder because I know for a fact I am not diligent enough to feed that many times a day... I've added some sand and still have about 40 pounds left to add, I think total I'll have over 120 pounds of sand after that so hopefully that will be enough. What about adding more chromis? I heard they may end up killing each other off.

Back