Sudden poisoning of tank. Inverts dead. Need suggestions.

Is it bad to keep the magnet scrapper in the water? That is what I have been doing. I also have one of those clips for alge

Yes, the magnet can rust and the clip may be ok if it doesn't have a metal spring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The results are in. After 24 hours, this is how the poly-filter looks:

25105440_10212362544312712_1129848120_n.jpg

The list goes: TANK, MYSIS, PANKTON, CONTROL (RO/DI)

Nothing is out of the ordinary it seems...

Anybody use any form of insecticide in the house lately? Dusting for ants/ticks/bed buds? Spot spraying for roaches/ants in the kitchen? The sudden impact to inverts only makes me suspect this.

The only things I know of that are that toxic to inverts but not verts are heavy metals such as copper or zinc and herbicides. Not sure how specific pesticides are wrt not harming fish.

If its metals I'm not sure how to decontaminate before the next go-round, They tend to persist.

The only things I know of that are that toxic to inverts but not verts are heavy metals such as copper or zinc and herbicides. Not sure how specific pesticides are wrt not harming fish.

If its metals I'm not sure how to decontaminate before the next go-round, They tend to persist.

Running carbon will clean out the water, however rock DOES absorb metals.
depending how long and the concentration it might not be a factor, run carbon and get metals down to zero. Then takeout carbon and wait 48 hours, then test for metals. That way you know if the rock/sand are leeching. Keep testing, until your sure its not leeching.

My humble guess and experience would be running carbon for a while (month +) would remove everything and save the rock.

PS: i should add, im efficient with my money and im hard to worry. If your the opposite then 100% replace everything and be done with it.

Anybody use any form of insecticide in the house lately? Dusting for ants/ticks/bed buds? Spot spraying for roaches/ants in the kitchen? The sudden impact to inverts only makes me suspect this.

Not that I know of, but it wouldn't surprise me if my room mate have.

A general update on things.
I never figured out what caused it. Polyfilter, Cuprisorb, carbon, gfo, etc, etc didn't manage to salvage the situation. I have replaced heaters, bought new frozen foods, and done a 100% water change. I have also replaced the contents of all three dosing pumps and bought a new RO/DI unit. I fear I may never know what happened. I did the water change literally hours before I heard the suggestion about doing a proper Triton test of the water.

Fish are still happy and a surviving (!) snail appeared on the glass the evening after the water change, eating algae off the glass. I introduced a hermit crab, an emerald crab, a turbo snail, a feather duster worm, and an acro frag, to monitor if the water was better. A week later I am pleased to report that all 5 inverts are very happy and feeding. I have green algae starting to appear on everything, but my I will just have to wait it out while the rank re-cycles.

I will keep this thread updated as things progress over the holidays. Thank you all so much for your help, advice and general condolences. I will take the opportunity to try out new things. :)

Happy holidays to you all.

Last edited:
Back