Tandem 8g aqueon evolve, and 33long build.

Hzuiel

I haven't bought anything quite yet but I've settled on my new builds and am going to post this thread to declare my intentions and be able to note my steps.

I currently have a 20 gallon high with a 10 gallon sump/refugium. The sump design i came up with was bad and has caused me misery so I'm scrapping it. The 20 gallon high will be re-purposed as a display marine plant/refugium. I'm going to get a 33 gallon long, which is about the limits of the nano boundary. I'll be making a 15 gallon into a sump for the system and chucking the flawed 10 gallon sump.

I am currently located in a basement that is half finished. I am going to locate the aquariums on the unfinished side of the basement so messes are less of a big thing, and cut out holes in the wall and frame them in decorative wood trim.
e78d.jpg

I am planning to use a neptune apex. DIY auto top-off controlled via a breakout box on the neptune. I intend to stick with rapidled for my lighting, and basically double what i currently have, but upgrade to dimmable drivers to be controlled by the apex. I'm currently looking into having the apex use two of it's 0-10v outputs control circulation powerheads for wave making, feeding modes and power outage modes. I think i'm going to run skimmerless but will be designing the sump with a space for a skimmer that will just remain empty until i see a need for improving my water quality beyond what a filter sock, chemipure and purigen can do. I'll be installing a reactor for gfo and running as needed. I think i'm going to go with two glass-holes nano overflow con dientes, rated at 300gph each, 1 on each end of the display. Mag 7 return, split going to the refugium and display with valves for balancing the flow between the two(and maybe to run reactors off of as well.) I am going to run two hob refugiums with chaeto and LR rubble jammed in them, for consistent copepod production.

Planned stocking list for the display:
The ocellaris clown pair i currently have
ORA frozen food fed mandarin dragonet.
regular or purple firefish
tiger watchman goby
1 pom pom crab
3 sexy anenome shrimp
3 peppermint shrimp
2 trochus, 2 astrea, 3 or 4 bumblebee snail, and nassarius snails if needed(the tiger watchman should sift the sand adequately on his own.

Planned stocking list for the display refugium:
The coral banded shrimp i currently have will be relocated here.
1 trochus, 1 astrea, 2 or 3 bumblebee snails
Mermaid's fan
shaving brush
purple leaf kelp
grape kelp
red bush algae

The aqueon evolve 8 will sit next to my desk. No definitive plans quite yet other than lighting will be a par38 full spectrum bulb with an inline lightbulb dimming socket. Corals and inverts, maybe 1 little clown goby.

Well this was unexpected. My first step was going to be building the stands for both setups, however I was out at pet shops hovering around looking at stuff, and I went in pet smart just because i felt like it, and what do you know. Clearance on evolve4 and evolve8! Much to my dismay i opened the box for the last remaining evolve8 and found the tank totally busted, huge chunk knocked out and a crack down one side. I spoke to the manager for a bit and he checked their computer which showed 3 other stores in the area had some left in stock. I called up the closest store and they confirmed they not only had several of them, but one was marked down to half off. Before wasting my time i had them look in the box to verify it was not cracked or shattered, which it wasn't. So I took the 15 minute drive and when I grabbed the half off one, it said clearly on the front, "no pump." Great! I didn't want that dinky noisy pump anyway. I will be putting in an eheim compact 600 or 1000. I get to the register and they ring me up, $27 :eek2:

xuy9.jpg

y0n2.jpg

I'm hoping to start building the stand into the wall for the 33 long this weekend, will post pics of progress.

I'm always interested in following threads involving display refugiums. When I build my dream setup, it will definitely have a display fuge.

Just to confirm, the aqueon 8 is going to be completely separate from the 33l/20/15 setup?

I'm always interested in following threads involving display refugiums. When I build my dream setup, it will definitely have a display fuge.

Just to confirm, the aqueon 8 is going to be completely separate from the 33l/20/15 setup?

According to current plans that is correct. I want the 8g on a custom build cabinet next to my desk.

for sure gonna follow this. I've been eyeing up an evolve 8 to build a nano for a bit now and might make the jump.

having that chamber in the back is a nice added option.

I got my Evolve 8 at $64, and now they've reduced the last one to $55. The impatient part of me wants to spring, but the common sense side of me says to wait and see if they drop it below $50...oh, decisions.

Back