Tank has shifted on stand

sdergar

Hello,
I've had a 125 gallon glass tank now for about 12 years. It's on a properly matched metal stand and I had built a cabinet around it. I had to redo some of the cabinet and as I removed it I noticed that the tank has shifted to the front by about 1/8" possibly just a little more. Not sure what caused the shift as it is on a very stable floor. Should I be emptying and moving it back to being flush with the stand? Is the bottom of the tank being supported by the stand (I guess only along the edges)? I just don't want to wake up to a loud crash one morning.

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
Can you provide some pictures. Personally, I've pretty cautious about this type of thing. So, I would remove as much water as possible (to a large container or another tank so you can replace it) and then shift the tank back into position.

Hello,
I've had a 125 gallon glass tank now for about 12 years. It's on a properly matched metal stand and I had built a cabinet around it. I had to redo some of the cabinet and as I removed it I noticed that the tank has shifted to the front by about 1/8" possibly just a little more. Not sure what caused the shift as it is on a very stable floor. Should I be emptying and moving it back to being flush with the stand? Is the bottom of the tank being supported by the stand (I guess only along the edges)? I just don't want to wake up to a loud crash one morning.

Thanks
Steve
I'm gonna vote the other way. It's not a problem. It is weird though. Do you or did you ever have crazy wave action in the tank, like from a wave box? Do you live where earthquakes are common? In 12 more years maybe it will be 1/4". I assume the frame tubing is at least 1.5"?

Is it a rimless or does it have the plastic frame on it?

I'm gonna vote the other way. It's not a problem. It is weird though. Do you or did you ever have crazy wave action in the tank, like from a wave box? Do you live where earthquakes are common? In 12 more years maybe it will be 1/4". I assume the frame tubing is at least 1.5"?

Good point.

Yes the tank is plastic framed and the stand tubing is 1.5”. The picture shows the back where it’s moved forward about 1/8”. The other rear side is just shy of 3/16”.

No earthquakes (I live not too far from Toronto in Mississauga) nor huge wave action. I have a Vortech MP10 to create some current but it’s set on the end glass and flows across the length of the tank. They say I should have got a bigger vortech but I’m happy with the action it provides. I’m hoping in 12 years it’ll go back. Lol

Attachments

• 98BD57F3-43B4-4FF3-A44C-C96D35463814.jpeg
    98BD57F3-43B4-4FF3-A44C-C96D35463814.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Back