Tank Upgrade Question

C_man7

Upgrading my 33long 48x12x12 tank to a 50gallon 36x18x18 with ice cap 30 sump.

Equipment:
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Two Jebao SLW-20
Jebao DCP-3500 maybe 4000
Viparspectra 165 or 300w
amazon puck style fuge light
Reef Breeder prism ato

1. I plan to use all my current rocks but as far as sand. The tank is about a year old, I plan to get get about 40lb of new dry aragonite sand, but should I take some of the old sand to seed the new sand?

2. Lighting, I just plan to do softies zoa paly stuff like this in this tank, give it that over grown coral look, I have a viparspectra 165 on my other tank 32x18x12 and with the lenses off it lights that entire tank. Think I could get away with the same on this one or should I go up to the 300w model?

3. Overflow box, I was looking at the Reef Synergy ghost, but is there any benefit that would make it worth the double price of say an eshopps eclipse med or marine depot elite med, besides its set for a bean animal and the two listed are herbie? I have the marine depot elite small on my 33 but wanting a little wider box without having to drill 2 holes, any other options

4. Stocking: I'm only keeping a few fish from my current tank. I'm wanting to have mostly colorful fish in this tank.
current- pair of mocha davinci clownfish
Yellow Watchman Goby w/ candy cane pistol
Skunk Cleaner shrimp

Planning to add:
royal Gramma
McCosker or carpenter flasher wrasse
Maybe a dwarf angelfish just worried about corals (do they even eat soft corals?)
ruby red scooter or mandarin once I get some pods
any other fish or creatures that would work with this stocking

1. Yes, seed your new sand with old sand, unless you had ICH in the tank.
2. Give your old light a shot. Upgrade if needed.
3. No opinion on overflow. I generally choose best bang for the buck.
4. Yes to gramma and wrasse. You might get away with a dwarf angel, but the tight confines will make it mean. I don't think that tank size is big enough to sustain a pod population big enough to sustain a mandarin or scooter.

Ideal fish are ones that don't roam that far in the wild. Cardinal fish fit the bill. A pair even. How about an algae blenny.

Back