TBD tank thread!

saltyVT

So I figured it's time to start a thread for my newest tank bullied. One of many I have going, but this one I'm not cutting too many corners ($$$). I hope... currently I have an IM30 running (5 Years). Well needless to say I'm tired of it. I want bigger and newer things. So First step, find a tank I like. Easier said than done!! Well I found a great deal on a 65 w/overflow and a stand for $100. Setteled on $80 in the end. Needed a good cleaning which I was up for. Soaked it in vinegar, scraped the coraline algae of. Well, I cracked the upper part of the corner by the overflow. 🤦🏻*♂️ Only two inches down from the top on the short side. Clean break about 6 inches long. Well great, just bought this tank and I screwed myself. So I noticed petco having their $1 a gallon sale. I end up buying a 20L for a dump, and a 40br just Incase. I'll spare the drawn out back and forth in my head and just say, I've decided to go with the 65, for now. I like the height of it., built in overflow, bigger than I've had in the last 18 years of reefing. I patched the crack with silicone and a glass frame I cut in half. Currently drying now. I still need to do a leak test on it. Being a used tank the pervious owner must have cleaned the glass with a Brillo pad. So filling it up will tell me if I'm using this tank or not. Reality is whether the scratches are visible when water is in there. That is the biggest thing to me. I'm not worried about the crack. Given where it is located. Mean while I've been shopping! Equipment isn't a long list. Bought and using the Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB in my 30 rn. Had the cadlights 50pls. Started really acting up so I decided I needed a better skimmer. I do plan on using this in the sump on the new tank. If it doesn't work I have a Tunze 9002 I could use. I plan on using a new Ecotech MP40wQD and my old mp10 for current in the tank. My current tank is B.B. so I'm opting for a swallow sand bed with dry sand to start, about 40 lbs. I'll end up buying another 40 lbs of dry rock to cure in the tank. I'll divide up the sump myself. I've done a drilled 40br in the past so I'll go with a DSB but no Macro this time. Hoping my slimmer will do enough, but open to it if things don't work out. Return pump will be a current 1050 gph DC pump. Feeling this should be good to start me off regardless if I go stay with the 65 or bail to the 40br. I'm pretty back and forth with lights right now but I won't need them for a bit. I plan on a slow curing. Not in a huge rush. Which kills me

Last edited:
Well things I’ve ordered are slowly coming in. In the mean time I patched the crack, painted the back, picked up some plumbing supply’s, got acrylic panels, replaced my filters in my RO/DI, and fresh pail of salt. I’ll get up a tank shot

Last edited:
Looking good! Pricy order you have there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering if some of it was overkill haha. Speaking of which the 300watt heater seems a bit overkill and huge!

Back