TDI in RODI water after filling new tank

Hiya all!

I recently bought a used Red Sea reefer 170 system which im very happy with. When i got it, i did a leaktest with tap water, drained it and dried it with a towel. Now since i have no live rock or anything yet and i live in a rather small appartment, i am going to fill up the system with RODI water and then add salt to it. However, when i added my 0TDI water to the system I noticed something: it had TDIs again. The funny thing is how it even differs per sump chamber...

So in the aquarium itself (that was already thoroughly rinsed with RODI water it reads about 7
in the first sump chamber: 11
second sump chamer: 16
Last sump chamber with the return pump in it: 57!

Now my question is: Do i need to empty it and fill up with new RODI water or can I assume that the TDIs consist of stuff that was already in the system when in use and is reefsafe?

Last minute thought:
Obviously the tank wasnt filthy before filling, but there are still the spiriboid worm shells, some sand and possibly some dried algae left. Could this add to the TDS?

Hiya all!

I recently bought a used Red Sea reefer 170 system which im very happy with. When i got it, i did a leaktest with tap water, drained it and dried it with a towel. Now since i have no live rock or anything yet and i live in a rather small appartment, i am going to fill up the system with RODI water and then add salt to it. However, when i added my 0TDI water to the system I noticed something: it had TDIs again. The funny thing is how it even differs per sump chamber...

So in the aquarium itself (that was already thoroughly rinsed with RODI water it reads about 7
in the first sump chamber: 11
second sump chamer: 16
Last sump chamber with the return pump in it: 57!

Now my question is: Do i need to empty it and fill up with new RODI water or can I assume that the TDIs consist of stuff that was already in the system when in use and is reefsafe?

Last minute thought:
Obviously the tank wasnt filthy before filling, but there are still the spiriboid worm shells, some sand and possibly some dried algae left. Could this add to the TDS?
If your water was zero then that's the best you can do. RODI is "hungry" for anything it contacts and that's why you're getting readings. Just carry on like you never measured again. :)

Back