Test kit

chriscrna

Just curious which test kit everyone uses and feels is most reliable.

I've got the API master kit but sometimes question its reliability.

Thoughts?

I use Salifert for Nitrate, Calcium, Alkalinity, and magnesium; Hanna for Phosphate and Alkalinity; I'm ordering all RedSea Pro test kits next week for everything but Phosphate.

I use Salifert for the pertinents. I know some people say API is reliable for Alkalinity.

I think RedSea test kits are a pile of crud.

edit: a lot of the Salifert kits are based on a titration rather than your interpretation of some kind of color difference, right?

I'll trust a titration-based test kit over me having to compare shades of color any day of the week.

I like Salifert for Ca, nitrate and alk (which is all I usually test. Salifert kits are a little harder to use than Red Sea (neither are very difficult). I like the red sea for ammonia. The Red sea ones are very straight forward.
hth, Chris

I don't know that I ever measure ammonia, Chris. Red Sea is definitely straight forward. Most of those test kits are straight forward. I'm just unable to judge color accurately and I would bet most people are too. If you're wanting a general "I've got an F-load of nitrate" instead of "I have 23 ppm nitrate" then Red Sea is probably fine. I just like to know my numbers better than that when I do test...which admittedly is almost never. hah hah.

Randy...I love it. Hach supposedly makes decent products. I would be all about measuring things at home like we do in the lab.

edit: is straight forward hyphenated?

Back