Top crown snails

Hp1836

Just picked up a few top crown snails. They are massive compared to all others. Was told they just eat algae and wow! They move quick. One is already above the water a few inches hanging upside down on the underside of the glass lid. I can not find much info on them other then apparently they are not very common. Any one else have them or know anything about them?

Just picked up a few top crown snails. They are massive compared to all others. Was told they just eat algae and wow! They move quick. One is already above the water a few inches hanging upside down on the underside of the glass lid. I can not find much info on them other then apparently they are not very common. Any one else have them or know anything about them?
I've never kept them before but reading they are mostly nocturnal and voracious algae eaters with a max size of 2".

Looking further, the scientific name appears to be Megastrea undosa (not sure which is correct). Here's a Wikipedia page about them.

ETA - The first scientific name I found for them was Astrea undoza but, that appears to be incorrect. Here's more links with info on them.

Back