Tree coral tips turnig black.

Stipe

I have a 'tree coral' i cant destinguish if it is a Sinularia or a Capnella. Im pretty sure it is a Sinularia, any way one of the tips is now black (wasnt like that when i set of to work). About 5mm of the tip is black and on two of the other tips they have two black tips( only on the very tip).

It gets med flow and is nearly right under my halides on the top of the water. Well it isnt under my halides directly it is pretty far to the back of it. THe only light right under is is an actinic.

Apart from the lighting there where lots of air bubles on the coral. THis is because the water in my sump ran abit low, but could that be the cause?

Also To solve the problem im thinking of cutting of the infected parts, yes no?

Pics comming soon.

cut the tips (infected) off. i've seen it on sinularia but not capnella.

it looks almost like the tips are burnt. it's completely blackened, right? ime this "blacken infection" is just death around the corner, sorry.

could be a viral infection or bacterial infection. i've generally seen this in poor water conditions (i.e. when i'm too lazy) with insufficient chemical filtration (i.e. i should've changed carbon more often). not sure what exactly is the triggering mechanism though but a "cut and siphon out crap" approach has usually allowed me to salvage some colonies.

i haven't seen it go very virulent though, i.e. it doesn't automatically jump to separated colonies within the same tank.

Oh actualy its the one big branch but on seperate tips. Water is good, trate is around 1, calcium 600 (i cant get it down), mag 1200 and alk 5 meq. SO thats in check. Specific gravity is at 1.026 and ph at 8.3.

Carbon definatly needs to be changed, with a nice fug cleaning (too much algae but i doubt thats the problem). Also one thing could be is the lack of flow which then causes no oxygen ariving to it, could that be it?

Back