TWO WAV PUMPS BUT WHERE

QUESTION: Would you run two WAV pumps on the same side of the tank or on opposite sides. The tank sizes 75g. I was thinking on the same side so I can turn one on and have the circulation run clockwise then switch and have the water run counter clockwise. If I do one on opposite sides I can do that but it does not seem to work exactly the same. Thoughts??

Interesting question. I’m in the planning stages of upgrading to a 75 and recently acquired an Apex Jr and have been looking at the WAVs. Personally, in my 36 years in this hobby, I’ve always placed power heads on opposite sides of the tank. No reason why, just seems that’s what people have always done.

You could always try one way and move them later. I’ll follow this as I’m curious how it turns out. Remember, there’s always more than one right way to do things in this hobby😉

Interesting question. I’m in the planning stages of upgrading to a 75 and recently acquired an Apex Jr and have been looking at the WAVs. Personally, in my 36 years in this hobby, I’ve always placed power heads on opposite sides of the tank. No reason why, just seems that’s what people have always done.

You could always try one way and move them later. I’ll follow this as I’m curious how it turns out. Remember, there’s always more than one right way to do things in this hobby😉
Completely agree. This is my third tank set set-up, been in the hobby since 1993 or there about and I am curious what others are thinking and the why - especially now that power heads have come a long way from the traditional Maxi Jet we used in the past. Traditionally, I run multiple PowerHeads in my tank I have a 150 with 6 WAVs moving the water 2 on each side low and high and two on the top center directing water downward as this is a deep tank. Keeps the detritus moving.

Completely agree. This is my third tank set set-up, been in the hobby since 1993 or there about and I am curious what others are thinking and the why - especially now that power heads have come a long way from the traditional Maxi Jet we used in the past. Traditionally, I run multiple PowerHeads in my tank I have a 150 with 6 WAVs moving the water 2 on each side low and high and two on the top center directing water downward as this is a deep tank. Keeps the detritus moving.

Would love to see video of the water movement. I tend to be set in my ways (still running MH lighting), but willing to look at other ways of doing things.

I don't have any coral in my tank is there a safe method to see flow without using those little styrofoam balls?? Never done anything like that.

Reviewed BRS 160 flow episode once again. Thought I would go with powerbeads on same side, but now thinking having the WAV on opposite side may allow be to create crashing points at various crashing points over the tank by controlling the various percentages pushing against each other. for example left pump starting at 20% with the right pump pushing at 60%. Then every hour or thereabout this number will increase/decrease 25/55, 30/50, 35/45, 40/40, 45/35, 50/30, 55/25, 20/60. Plus BRS suggested that using them in aopposing fasting is the vest option for these WAV pumps. Thanks for the responses, this helped to redirect me and et back into the search feature (smile). Literally forgot how helpful the BRS episodes can be.

I’ve always just watched the fish/corals/macroalgae move to determine the water movement in my tank.

@kharmaguru any thoughts here?

I’ve always just watched the fish/corals/macroalgae move to determine the water movement in my tank.

@kharmaguru any thoughts here?
Gotcha!! This is a new addition setup in my photoroom, so I am still cycling the tank. But would love to see the patterns if I could. Maybe I can just add some flake food to the tank and see how it moves. Hmmmm :unsure:

Gotcha!! This is a new addition setup in my photoroom, so I am still cycling the tank. But would love to see the patterns if I could. Maybe I can just add some flake food to the tank and see how it moves. Hmmmm :unsure:
That would work, but would add nutrients to the system. Just watch your water parameters.

??Nuttrients?? --I am old school so I added a shrimp to the tank to start the cycle. Then after after 2 week I will add some LR from each of my other system. By week 3-4 depending on test readings and my time I will add clowns from my existing system into this one and let them have a vacation for the next 6-8weeks. After that I will be adding least aggressive to most aggressive, but not sure what to buy or add from my other systems. I am rather tang heavy on my tanks ( I have had two of the 5 of my tangs for more than 8 years now, but this tank is a 75 so maybe only 1 tang, max 2 for this system, but still exploring that. I desire to keep this tank load light but nutrients high (fish poop) and add more SPS corals naturally after a few years of conditioned water or through water transfusions from other tanks, that is the goal we shall see what the Tank Gods have in store for me (lol). I use Neptune Apex and this will be a more fully automated tank down to water changes done by DOS, and I am looking at on/off valves for the ATO Reservoir. Will send pics once my cable guards arrive and that is set up. I does two part and use the Apex Trident to monitor that so hopefully that will work. I have admit after the first year my testing drops down to once a month - hoping to change that behavior, but I am one who looks at the tank and decides if its okay or not - yeah dumb, but it works for me till it doesn't.

Thanks for all your help and direction.

Back