Unmotivated reef tank owner looking for a pep talk / suggestion on new tank...

Pat Niemeyer

I have had a reef tank running continuously for almost 20 years now... I changed tanks once when I moved but carried over the contents. I've gone through many animals but still have some coral that has been around that whole time.

My problem is that my current (90g Oceanic) setup is hard to maintain and I've gotten lax in recent years (kids, life, etc.) to the point where the tank is kind of gone au-natural... It's mostly healthy, but way overgrown with algae, almost to the point where it seems like it would be impossible to fully clean the live rock anymore, my plumbing is gummed up, the sump has problems... I don't feel that I could properly improve the situation without completely tearing it down (mostly for fear of killing the couple of fish in there)... and my dislike for the current tank makes me not want to put the time into this particular setup.

So I'm debating migrating tanks. What I'm considering is maybe a slightly smaller or at least shallower reef tank... My biggest issue with the 90g is that 24" deep makes it hard to deal with...

I guess I'm partly asking if anyone has a recommendation on what their "dream" shallow reef tank setup would be (to rekindle my interest) or if someone has been through this aging-tank-ennui and gotten through it (and how) :)

My current tank is an aquarium masters 80 gallon its 48x24x16 I like it a lot but my dream tank for my living situation (3rd floor) would be 40x40 x 21

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OK, this may be a long shot but would you consider a tank that was easier to maintain, where you worked WITH Nature, instead of struggling against it. What if instead of trying to keep nutrients low, you needed to keep nutrients high?

Years ago, I came to the conclusion I wasn't cut out for reefing. I just wasn't good enough. So I traded in my reef critters and decided to try a fresh water planted tank instead. I struggled for awhile, but eventually I got good at it.

All was right with the world…until I got the salt water bug again. But wouldn't it be cool to combine what I learned from both the fresh water planted side AND the reef side?

Long story short, I now keep a planted marine tank, with exotic macro algae and seagrasses. It's awesome! Instead of a never-ending battle with algae, I pick and choose the coolest looking macro algae to add right in the display. When the display is also the filter, life is so much easier.

If this interests you at all, take a look at my thread "Weeds", down in the macro section. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Whatever you end up doing, have fun!

I would use Flucazole to clear up your algae,
My favorite size tanks are 36" x 24" x 16"
I would get a roller mat reactor, fuge and a small skimmer.

My favorite size tanks are 36" x 24" x 16"
I would get a roller mat reactor, fuge and a small skimmer.

That is exactly the size I have been thinking about... Although I'm not finding a lot of options. Is there a quality company that makes tanks in this size that you can recommend?

I had never heard of a roller mat reactor... interesting. I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Back