upgrading from RKL to Apex worth it?

E46er

I currently have a RKL with 2 PC4 power bars. one outlet doesnt work and seems the slightest touch to the cable at the head unit and it loses its connection. I have it in a place it really doesnt happen often unless I bump the couch.

I like the idea of having it availble on a computer and for WC being able to just hit an app and have all the outlets labelled what they are to shut off as opposed to jsut numbers in a small screen.

currently the LFS has a black friday salewhich ends tomorrow at noon.

the head unit (standard grade) package is $600 plus 12% tax

8 outlets is working fine for me. although 8 more to control my mixing station would probably be in the future over just a regular powerbar but thats later on.

i have 2- 1.1ml/min pump for my cal/alk and a 50 ml/min for top off running off the controller but it would be nice to have a float switch warning with an alarm to my phone. can I turn stuff on/off through the phone app? or jsut a computer?
i would think in the near future the apex auto feeder would be considered as well. I currently have an ehiem one which works great but the time wonders so currently I dont bother setting my RKL to shut off my powerheads whereas if the same timer controlled both it wouldnt matter if it wondered a bit.

basically I have a controller that works fine for the most part but its 'starting' to have issues, and the last thing i want is a dosing pump or top off pump to not get shut off but im not sure if the replays fail off or on normally?. So is this a worthy upgrade or shouldnt I jsut ride out the RKL until it dies???

Last edited:
one thing im currently worried about is on the JL or DA website it says for pumps with such a small draw to plug them into mechancial relays and the EB8 only has 2....... i dont want my cal or alk or top off to start running but not shut off......... are the solid state replays in the apex much better than in the DA?
i guess worst case is i could plug a spare heater into an extension cord and plug that into a solid state relay to make sure it hass enough current to shut off not optimal but an option

Have you thought about the da archon just throwing it out there

No. I'm not overly impressed with the RK I have.
The apex is $600 right now on sale from $670 and proven to work great customer service from my reviews.

The archon is $730 and brand new. Not proven and DA customer service is Meh at best.

I'll save my $130 and buy something proven vet something new for more money.

I ordered the apex this morning.

I use profilux on both of my tanks. Highly reliable and easily expandable although not inexpensive.

Back