Upgrading RO to 150gpd and adding uv?

bigzman

Hello,

I have a aquamaxx 100gpd RO/DI unit that I want to upgrade to produce more water and hopefully reduce waste. I have an older Kent 60gpd unit RO system that I want to repurpose.

I was trying to figure out how to connect it all and what parts if any should I order to link them together. I stoped using Kent unit a few years ago when I ordered the aquamaxx. I left membrane moist on casing and it is still moist. Should I replace? Tds is showing 002 but I have not flushed it in years.

Also I have read some research on using uv to reduce chlorine and chloramine in pools by using The process of chloramine photolysis. Any one aware of if this can be done to RO water before it hits DI, membrane and carbon?

This could be a solution to save not only money on DI and high end GAC but also cleaner water. I sent over pm to randy and others in chemistry forums to see if they might point me in the right direction. I know some uv units exist for drinking water RO units but from what I have read they do not emit the required 230nm spectrum to achieve chloramine photolysis and what rate of exposure is needed.

In short this is the plain I have. I will try to draw it up and post picture.

Stage 1: 5 micron sediment
stage 2: 1 micron sediment
Stage 3: If possible UV unit if not GAC
RO booster pump
Stage 4: Both RO membrane.
Stage 5: DI

I am open to suggestions and appreciate any help.

Thanks

Booster pump will have a float switch and pressure valve controlling it. I also have gauges and one tds meter.

Call Spectapure. Tell em what you have. They will fix you up with straight forward stuff and not try to sell you stuff you don't need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigz - we can walk you through what you need - best to give us a call when you are in front of your system.

Dave
513-312-2343

Hello,

I I stoped using Kent unit a few years ago when I ordered the aquamaxx. I left membrane moist on casing and it is still moist. Should I replace? Tds is showing 002 but I have not flushed it in years.
Undoubtedly the membrane is biofouled. Remember that is was marinating in stagnant, non-chlorinated water. I'll bet you a nickle if you open the RO membrane housing and pull out the membrane, and smell it, it will stick - a sign of biofouling. This is why RO membranes should be used at least once per week.

Also I have read some research on using uv to reduce chlorine and chloramine in pools by using The process of chloramine photolysis. Any one aware of if this can be done to RO water before it hits DI, membrane and carbon?
chloramines can be split back into ammonia and chlorine using UV - but this is the same thing the correct configuration of carbon will do at a much lower cost. Carbon is a much more practical solution on the residential scale RO systems used in this hobby. The require UV dose is twice that needed for disinfection.

Russ

Back