Vertex Omega 150

Skim

OK I have used the 150 on and off for 2 years and did experience much of the frustrating things that many on here and other Forums have, the long break in, the setting and later overflow, the Flute ( air adjustment ) and probably a few other things. This led me to buy other skimmers and a very expensive journey. Anyhow this has led me back to the 150 as I removed my other skimmer to clean and thought I would put in the 150 but I first went and thought things out. We know this Skimmer is under rated the pump seems to be too much for the Body, so I took a good look at the impeller and noticed that the pin wheel is quite large and just fits into the assembly head, the other thing I noticed when trying to remove the Impeller it was quite hard to do. The Magnet is very strong and the force from pump to impeller shaft is very strong which is key as to the quiet running and the draw of the pump. I believed the Flute plays a major roll in the way this skimmer runs more, then is made out to believe.
I have played with it in the past only to become frustrated in waiting for the foam process to start again after hands went into water, so this time I looked at info on the Alpha 170 and came across info about it surging, hay, I have had that happen and low and behold to solve that problem was the Flute so before I put the skimmer into the water I made a adjustment. I put a mark across the flute so it was on pump and flute extension. To solve the problem with the 170 you extend the Flute 8 mm out which just so happens to be 3 full turns out on the 150 Flute, so that means full turns, from mark around and back to mark 3 times. This will let a lot more air in and cuts back on the water flow of the skimmer. Well I have never had this skimmer work the way it is now small bubbles all the way to the neck and pea size in the bottom part of cup and bigger exploding bubbles in the cup area, no more having fine bubbles way done in the body just above water line and large bubbles from the point where body starts to curve in and into the neck. Body is full of small bubbles and the that massive turbulence has become more like a river and not a raging river, just nice swirls. The foam that goes into the cup is very dense and all most looks molded. So if you are having troubles or had troubles and gave up on the 150 you may want to pull it back out and give this a try, for me its like a whole new skimmer.

I just broke mine in finally after about 2 weeks. It's working OK now but had been too wet for my liking. This sounds like what I need to do to improve the skim. Thanks I'll give it a try!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been running mine on my moderately stocked 120 for a little under a year now. Has always been pretty consistent pulling a nice dark brown skimate. It sits in 8" of water. Volute nozzle is right at 1 turn out. Wedge pipe is approximately 60% closed. I feed 1 cube of Hikari Mysis and 1 cube of Hikari Mega Marine along with 3 pinches of New Life Spectrum pellets a day. I also have been rotating Oyster feast, Phyto Feast, and Acropower one a day so each get fed twice a week.

My only negative on this skimmer is that the pump does produce a little noise. A slight hum. It usually blends in with other tank noise and I realize the noise it makes when I turn it off to clean the skimmer.

I will try and take some photos and post, I was just looking at it and the foam is very thick you cant see the tube inside the cup because the cup is full of the foam. For noise you do get a very low hum you may also want to check if skimmer is touching the sump sides or dividers. The other thing you can check is if the out of the pump is butted right against the input pipe on the skimmer should be a little gap between then, then again it depends if you have the Silicone tube that attaches the two.

Back