Wanted: parasitic pyramidellid snails (for science)

kmk2307

Hi all,

I'm a researcher at the University of Alabama studying mollusc evolutionary history. There is some evidence that pyramid snails (Pyramidellidae) are more closely related to land snails and slugs than previously thought, but there is not much in the way of genomic data from this group. I'm looking for live samples of this group, which is commonly found parasitizing giant clams and other molluscs. The goal would be to use transcriptome sequencing (sequencing all the genes 'turned on' or expressed as mRNA) and to use these data to help place this group on the gastropod tree of life. If anyone finds specimens of these pests and would be willing to ship them to me live, I can provide my FedEx number and pay you back for any expense.

Thanks!
Kevin Kocot

P.S. If you aren't familiar with this group, here's a plate with some nice photos: https://alchetron.com/cdn/pyramidellidae-7aeaf747-0035-4522-ad7d-3eaac1e0bdc-resize-750.jpeg

P.P.S. If you are wondering if I'm legit, here's my lab website: www.kocotlab.com

Hi all,

I'm a researcher at the University of Alabama studying mollusc evolutionary history. There is some evidence that pyramid snails (Pyramidellidae) are more closely related to land snails and slugs than previously thought, but there is not much in the way of genomic data from this group. I'm looking for live samples of this group, which is commonly found parasitizing giant clams and other molluscs. The goal would be to use transcriptome sequencing (sequencing all the genes 'turned on' or expressed as mRNA) and to use these data to help place this group on the gastropod tree of life. If anyone finds specimens of these pests and would be willing to ship them to me live, I can provide my FedEx number and pay you back for any expense.

Thanks!
Kevin Kocot

P.S. If you aren't familiar with this group, here's a plate with some nice photos: https://alchetron.com/cdn/pyramidellidae-7aeaf747-0035-4522-ad7d-3eaac1e0bdc-resize-750.jpeg

P.P.S. If you are wondering if I'm legit, here's my lab website: www.kocotlab.com

Wow, a blast from the past. Good to see you posting again Kevin.

Back