Wanting to Start a Dedicated Macroalgae Tank

SalFish

Hey everyone. I want to start a tank dedicated to growing macroalgae. I'm starting from scratch. I work at a LFS so I can get whatever I need minus the algae relatively easily. But I'm not sure how big, what I need or if I should do a refugium.

My thoughts so far are to do two 20 long aquariums on opposite light cycles hooked up like a tank and refugium. I was thinking I'd just get some freshwater lights, but I REALLY like the new Current Loop system. I'm thinking about splurging on that for fun.

I'm open to suggestions, resources or general chat on the subject. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Since a macro tank basically IS a refugium, you don't need one. However, your idea of having two tanks on opposite light cycles could be cool. I love the idea of always having one on, so you always have one to look at. Plus, you could do different species in each tank, which opens up some fun opportunities! Downside is increased complexity and work for you.

Do your homework on that lighting and make sure it's enough. Sometimes 'fresh water' is code for 'weak' lighting.

Best of luck and welcome to the macro section!

Since a macro tank basically IS a refugium, you don't need one. However, your idea of having two tanks on opposite light cycles could be cool. I love the idea of always having one on, so you always have one to look at. Plus, you could do different species in each tank, which opens up some fun opportunities! Downside is increased complexity and work for you.

Do your homework on that lighting and make sure it's enough. Sometimes 'fresh water' is code for 'weak' lighting.

Best of luck and welcome to the macro section!
I like the idea of having different species. Figuring out how to work the return and everything will be a challenge for sure. But I'm hoping it would help keep the algae from going sexual too. Thoughts?

It is an interesting idea! But first you'd need to decide if there is a real need for it, such as keeping an angler fish in one and blennies in the other. I see no real need for two connected macro tanks, but there could be some fun reasons to do it. You could do all reds in one and all greens in the other. One way to simplify the concept would be to add a porous divider to a larger tank, avoiding any draining/overflow issues.

Totally up to you. It's these kind of creative ideas that make the hobby fun!

interesting idea... I personally would not do it tho. IMHO better just to have 2- 20L tanks separate.
i hear your thoughts and reason why to connect the two. but I feel there is no real benefit from it. just getting the flow right through the "sump" might be hard, in the end I feel there are more potential problems then benefit. but then again you could be on to some thing.

either way keep us posted.
oh and for lighting I really like the lemo lights by aqua max for my 20L.

interesting idea... I personally would not do it tho. IMHO better just to have 2- 20L tanks separate.
i hear your thoughts and reason why to connect the two. but I feel there is no real benefit from it. just getting the flow right through the "sump" might be hard, in the end I feel there are more potential problems then benefit. but then again you could be on to some thing.

either way keep us posted.
oh and for lighting I really like the lemo lights by aqua max for my 20L.
Thanks for the reply! I might just do 2 tanks because I can or one big one.

I'll check out those lights too. Do you have pics of them?

I actually like the idea mentioned earlier about using one tank with a porous divider.

I will be doing something similar to that soon, except on a 40 breeder, and will use a different kind of lighting over each section.
Like you, I will be doing reverse lighting cycles.

I actually like the idea mentioned earlier about using one tank with a porous divider.

I will be doing something similar to that soon, except on a 40 breeder, and will use a different kind of lighting over each section.
Like you, I will be doing reverse lighting cycles.
That's awesome, how did you come to the conclusion to use opposite photocycles?

That's awesome, how did you come to the conclusion to use opposite photocycles?

I wanted to keep the system PH stable, which can be accomplished by opposing light cycles, since the PH rises as the Macros begin to photosynthesize.
At night their respiration puts carbon dioxide into the water, lowering the PH.
This is actually a project I've had in mind and wanted to do for a long time.

Good stuff!

We've talked about the downsides, but what of the upsides?

WheatyBits12 brought up a BENEFIT of the dual-contra-light-cycles system, which is reduced pH swings in the day/night cycle. I'll add to that the reduced oxygen level swings. Those are two pretty good advantages this system has OVER a conventional setup.

I like the divided 40b tank with split lighting idea. Might be fun to do it with something even longer…

Good stuff!

We've talked about the downsides, but what of the upsides?

WheatyBits12 brought up a BENEFIT of the dual-contra-light-cycles system, which is reduced pH swings in the day/night cycle. I'll add to that the reduced oxygen level swings. Those are two pretty good advantages this system has OVER a conventional setup.

I like the divided 40b tank with split lighting idea. Might be fun to do it with something even longer"¦
The oxygen was one of my thoughts as well. I got 2 20 gallons recently and was thinking about using them, but the 40 b or even a 33L might be the way to go.

I'm really close to having the 40B set up, am sanding down a divider wall right now.
Will try to be good about remembering to post a pic.
I'm super excited to get this thing going.

I'm really close to having the 40B set up, am sanding down a divider wall right now.
Will try to be good about remembering to post a pic.
I'm super excited to get this thing going.
Yeah definitely post pics! I can wait to see it!

Cool beans.

Let us know what the overall plan is, goals, etc. How will water be circulated? How will light be blocked? What plants? What fish? Good luck!

Back