Water for water changes

zgromie

I have a 29 gal tank. I use tap water and I know a rodi unit is the best. However, this is an investment and a setup a little later even if I want to do it now I can't. So, I was wonder what kind of water would be the best to use. Like distilled fish water, grocery store fountain water, bottled drinking water, tap water, or perhaps there is a way to buy rodi water?

I would check with your local fish store. you dont want the stuff in the tap water in your tank since it will cause problems down the road.

By the time you buy distilled water, grocery store water, bottled water, etc, you could invest in a $125 RODI system.

Fishguy597 that's not 100 percent I know a lot of folks around me who have huge beautiful tanks who use tap water. I am not saying to use it because I don't , but I do know using a TDS meter on my tap water only comes out at 29 ppm and I live 1 mile from the treatment plant. But I would agree just purchase a RO/DI unit

Before I invested in my spectrapure, I used prime. At least a few months. Or at least get an ice maker water filter. Got a buddy who uses that with no problems.

Yes own a unit is the best way, but if you need to most wal marts have a rodi dispenser and many grocers do now too, nothing wrong with that, very inexpensive too, maybe test the water you buy if it concerns you.

I had a friend who did not have the money for a RODI for his small system. What he did was watch when they would change out the filters and then get his water right after at his Wal MArt.

In a pinch Ive used gallon jugs of kroger drinking water but it is like 80 cents per gallon. My lfs sells ro/di water for around 40 cents per gallon just can be a hassle driving back and forth for water gas is expensive.

Fishguy597 that's not 100 percent I know a lot of folks around me who have huge beautiful tanks who use tap water. I am not saying to use it because I don't , but I do know using a TDS meter on my tap water only comes out at 29 ppm and I live 1 mile from the treatment plant. But I would agree just purchase a RO/DI unit

Thats cool. I test my incoming and out going water with my tds meter, and its 347 in and zero out. I thought it was like that everywhere lol.Most places say to change your filters at 2-5. The weird thing is I can see a difference in my coral when my tds gets higher. I dont know why when I check my tds in my tank its through the roof. I wonder if its metals compaired to organic waste.

You could check Craigs list for used RO units as well. You might be able to pick one up cheap and not have to keep buying water.

Thats cool. I test my incoming and out going water with my tds meter, and its 347 in and zero out. I thought it was like that everywhere lol.Most places say to change your filters at 2-5. The weird thing is I can see a difference in my coral when my tds gets higher. I dont know why when I check my tds in my tank its through the roof. I wonder if its metals compaired to organic waste.

I was wondering the same because I can't or won't use tap water but the guys that knew did it there corals look better then mine. I tried to check my tank and the meter read"err". Lol

I was wondering the same because I can't or won't use tap water but the guys that knew did it there corals look better then mine. I tried to check my tank and the meter read"err". Lol

TDS is measuring "total dissolved solids". This means the salt mix that you "dissolved" in the water along with all dissolved organics are registing. TDS IN the tank is going to be VERY high.

Back