What is this stuff on my LR (and please help)

droog

Hi,

I have a 4g nano reef tank that was given to me in a "running" state about a year ago. I'm a scuba diver... this was all bought from a LFS in China as an xmas present. No idea really about specs or where it came from. I have found a local LFS, but there is a big language barrier between us!

Made the usual beginner mistakes (over stocking, over feeding, poor maintenance, etc). There were a few casualties, basically everything except two hardy damselfish died. Then I joined RC and started reading... and now I'm hooked!

The water quality was poor when I tested it (for the first time) just recently. Small amounts of toxic ammonia, 20ppm Nitrates. Low salinity (1.020). I measured pH at 7.2 but not sure how accurate my readings were (am partially color blind).

I brought the salinity up gradually to about 1.026 with a PWC and by topping off evaporated water with saltwater mix for about 4 weeks.

Am now doing 20% water changes weekly, which seems to be helping. I also took out the filter sponge and LR and rinsed them vigorously in old tank water before placing back. A lot of green/brown crap came out. But there is a lot more in there... its all over the live rock. Could anyone tell me what this is? (pic attached).

It looks like a brown powdery fur coating the rock. There are little strands that move about with the water flow... only 1mm or so in length, but all around the sides of the rock. Is this diatoms or dino? Or maybe I have both? Or is this nothing to worry about / how this particular live rock looks?

Please understand that I had not even heard of any of these things until last week, so forgive newbie questions and general cluelessness. Trying to do better by my little ecosystem.

I only started looking into this some cyanobacteria started forming on the glass / sandbed. That was really ugly, but the maintenance I've performed to date seems to have cleared that up.

Suggestions/advice on what this is on my rock, and how to deal with it would be appreciated.

Info:
4g system, DT with 3 small chambers in back. I guess its a mini refrugium but came stuffed (basically packed) with filtration media
Small protein skimmer - seems to kinda/sorta work, but not much stuff gets collected in the cup any more
LED lights (mixture of white and blue as), runs on timer 12hrs/day
temp: 24C
Live rock (~20% of DT volume) and sand bed
Filtration media - 2 bags of stuff, no idea what it is

inhabitants
2x yellow tail damselfish
1x banded shrimp (added 4 weeks ago)
3x LPS corals (newly added) - 1x torch 1x hammer 1x flower pot

My ideas:
- Add a bristle worm or red legged hermit crab (if I can find/buy one) to help cleanup
- Take all the LR out and scrub it clean(er) in saltwater at next water change
- Test for phosphates. Don't have a test kit for this yet
- Reduce lighting and/or run 3 days darkness
- Add something like purigen (prefer not to do that)
- Ask RC community for better informed help :)

I've cut feeding down drastically with no ill effects. Damsels seem to eat algae of the rock. All I've ever fed to the tank is flaked food (mutifin max or something). The shrimp seems to grab that before the damsels get there. I also plan to start feeding the corals once a week, but not sure best way to do that.

-droog

Attachments

• NanoTank201311.jpg
    NanoTank201311.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
Kinda hard to see but looks like Coraline and hair algae?

If it's like hair, then must be "hair algae".

4g is going to be hard to maintain for a new aquarist but it can be done. It's too small for the fish you have. Try one yellow clown goby if you want fish. Zoas & softies will be the best choice for corals, but some LPS will be OK in skilled hands. Maintaining the correct salinity level will be the key to your success. This means toping off evaporated water daily either manually or with an ATO device. You will need to do regular water changes to export nutrients as well. Keep in mind you will always have a fragile system so skill & vigilance will be needed. Best of luck!

You said you top off with saltwater? Maybe that's a typo. But you always top off with pure fresh RODI water. Otherwise a train wreck is coming your way. And by flowerpot coral, if you mean a goniaopora, it will die so its best removed sooner than later.

He said his SG was low (1.020) so he did a few small WCs and topped off with saltwater to raise it over a period of 4 weeks.

With 4 gallons you're really limited on fish, and those damsels definitely won't work long-term. Basically you need to stick to small gobies. Reef Frog mentioned the yellow clown goby - and he is right, that would be a good little fish - but you could maybe add one other small goby as long as they are differently shaped and colored. Some fish do not get along with members of their own species (although many do, especially gobies) and shape and color are how they identify other fish.

Here are some other gobies you could try:

Blue Neon Goby
Clown Gobies
Eviota Gobies
Redhead Goby
Trimma Goby
Yellow Neon Goby
Citron Goby
Green Banded Goby

Oh OK missed that, thanks. Yes I agree 2 small gobies are doable & your list looks good too.

To thE OP: remove the unidentified bags. Whatever media there is exhausted and is simply accumulating detritus which will spike your already. Retreading your post I registered the part about ammonia & nitrite. This is dangerous for inhabitants. Read about tank cycling on this forum.

Thanks guys, some great feedback and into here.

ReefFrog: I will definitely remove the filtration media thats in the bags, good point. Its covered (well not covered, but definitely spotted with) algae. Perhaps I should try and grow cheato in there eventually. Joking... or at least a project for a later day.

The top-off with saltwater was a temporary measure to increase salinity which seemed too low. I normally top off with RO freshwater. We have a RO system in the house, but I'm not sure if its RO/DI or just "RO". I suspect RO only, is that a big deal?

The 2x damsels have been in there since day 1, and seem quite happy. They are juveniles, so I guess they will stay in there until I get a bigger system running, which I would like to do soon.

A friend of mine (who has seen the tank) suggested today that if I detected ammonia in the system that my protein skimmer is probably broken. Hadn't thought of that, but it seems to make sense.

The skimmer used to collect a bunch of green slime... it still produces bubbles, but they don't seem to "poof up" very much (excuse my technical language!) and nothing seems to be going into the collection cup these days. Nothing in last several weeks anyway. Does that indicate its broken or the fact I have some bubbles means its OK?

I could always visit a LFS but I think they will try and sell me one regardless, and I'm not sure I will find a teeny/tiny one to fit very easily. I suppose it would be cheap to buy a new one.

Topping off daily is no problem and I have time to try and keep things stable. The chemistry is kinda fun actually.

Its incredibly useful that experienced aquarists hang out here and are willing to offer targeted help and suggestions. Thanks a million!

-droog

The skimmer wont necessarily remove ammonia, while it will remove organics in the water which could break down producing ammonia. A lot of the time small protein skimmers don't work that great. I tried one a few years ago and it was a dud. If you are detecting ammonia it could mean that your bioload is too high. The damsels may be producing more waste than the biological filtration of your tank is able to deal with. You may be happy with the damsels but honestly there are more interesting fish that you could put in there. Those guys will grow to be about 3in so yeah they would need a bigger system and as they get bigger one of them will start to pick on the other, especially in 4 gallons.

Thanks willyboy. Everything in the tank is very much "made in china" (and bought in china) - net-net I'm surprised the tank has not leaked all over the floor yet (!).

I have a lot of live rock and sand in there, which has been in a year, so one would think the biological filtration can handle the damsels that have been there all along. When it was given to me, the 4g tank had three corals, a shrimp, two damsels and two clowns (!)

When I start a bigger system, I'll promote the damsels and maybe keep a couple of clownfish in the nano tank (or use as a QT). Its too small to be a refrugium! :)

One of the damsels is already the dominant one already. But the banded shrimp put in there a month ago in the role of "CUC" is more agressive than both of them.

All the inhabitants seem happier and livelier since I started regular WC and reduced feeding.

-droog

In terms of the original question - I now think the stuff on my rock is just benign bacteria. Its brown and somewhat ugly but that's about all. Maybe I just need to blast it off with a turkey baster, and hope the skimmer get it.

The more I think about it, the more I think my skimmer is broken... but of course I could be completely wrong. Water looks very clear now.

-droog

Back