When is it a good idea to add new inhabitants?

Cousin Vinny

I'm sure there are probably countless threads and info out there but I'm just returning to Reef Central and the hobby after a hiatus due to a move. Here's what I'm curious about people's opinions on... Most tanks are started with one fish or maybe a pair of clowns because they're hardy and can withstand chemistry changes better. What happens after that in regard to stocking though? Say I'm looking to do a pistol shrimp and goby, when is it best or 'the tank old enough' for adding them? What about a yellow tang, angel, copperband, etc? Is there any kind of guideline or resource that points a person into knowing when it's best to add or how to make my tank environment suitable for a type of fish or invert I want? I'm not looking for tank size per se. Lord knows there's plenty of opinions and guidelines out there for tank size suggestions for certain fish and the like. What I'm looking for is something along the lines of maybe, 'your tank should be established at least a year to ensure there's enough of X for this fish to thrive on.' I hope this makes sense and I'm really looking forward to hearing people's opinions!

I don’t think there’s any set guidelines out there. But if I was to put one out on a generic basis, I’d look at the care level of the fish.

Easy - no timeline
Moderate - make sure the tank is cycled and you should be good
Difficult - tank should be established for at least a year with plenty of microfauna (pods, etc.) as they’re likely difficult to get to take dry foods

I don’t think there’s any set guidelines out there. But if I was to put one out on a generic basis, I’d look at the care level of the fish.

Easy - no timeline
Difficult - tank should be established for at least a year with plenty of microfauna (pods, etc.) as they’re likely difficult to get to take dry foods
Good advice IMO and welcome back Cousin Vinny.

Easy - no timeline
Interesting! Definitely something to start paying attention to now.

Back