When to add an anemone....

chriscrna

My tank has been running since the beginning of February.

The previous owner of this tank had it running for six years. However, he had left it in total disarray and I have completely overhauled it. So for all intents and purposes it is a brand-new set up since February.

Here is the tank as it stands right now.

I have a big pile of original live rock in the middle which I'm taking out one piece at a time as I add my dry rock to the tank. Water parameters are rock solid. I don't think it'll be long until I can remove the rest of the original live rock, put in the rest of my dry rock, and get the tank set up exactly the way I want it.

I have these two beautiful Snow Onyx clown fish that I put in 3/29. They seem to be thriving and doing well. They have staked their claim in this cave that I created.

What do you guys think about adding and an anemone? Since the clowns have already taken to this cave, do you think they will take to an anemone? How long should I wait to introduce an anemone? What type would be the best for a newcomer like myself?

As usual, I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks everybody!

I've had experience keeping a long tentacle and bubble tip, both are fairly easy to keep happy. A bubble tip will typically move towards mid-top of the tank and might move around occasionally, it's hit or miss with moving. A long tentacle will burrow its foot in the sand and seldom will it move around, when I had a LTA and a pistol shrimp together the LTA would move around a lot due to the shrimp bothering the nems foot, once I took out the shrimp the nem stayed in in the same spot.
Just do some reading here http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36,
I would stay away from Carpet anemone or heteractis anemones until you're a bit more experienced (I've been in the hobby going on 5 years and I'm still not confident I could keep one healthy).

I've had BTA's, LTA’s, S. Haddoni, S. Gigantea, and H. Magnifica. My favorite are Gigs and Mags. Have had Mags for going on two years, Gigs for over a year. I currently have all listed prior besides the LTA.

As stated, leave the big boys alone until you're a bit more experienced. IMO you should hold off on the addition of any anemone until your tank is at least 6 mos mature. I don't follow that rule, but the rock I typically add is from an established tank.

BTA’s are a good place to start, and you can usually pick one up from a fellow reefer that had one split relatively cheap...

I added a RBTA after a few months but my rock was from an established tank. It wasn't exactly fresh though.

But I did add a couple of frags and waited a couple of weeks to see how they did, ahead of getting the anemone...now anemones. They split after one week and now I've got two giant RBTA in the tank, down in the rocks a bit.

Back