White spots on my angelfish. I need help.

Adamtrop

I just noticed these white spots on the side of my angelfish. I’ve had the fish for about three years with no problems. She is in a 100 gallon aquarium with three seahorses, some soft coral, snails, and hermit crabs. It is a very tranquil and stress-free environment. I did recently receive some hermit crabs and snails from a reputable distributor that I have dealt with for years.

Is this a parasite? Some other type of infection? I remember many years ago having to deal with “white spot disease”. I’m hoping that’s not what it is. Any advice? I’m really worried about my seahorses.

White spot?

Attachments

• C1B15001-1A1A-4A21-9C08-282D20EABEFA.jpeg
    C1B15001-1A1A-4A21-9C08-282D20EABEFA.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 20
Not close enough on the photo for a 'best diagnosis.' From this distance, it looks more like Lymphocystis. This is usually brought on by stress. Although in a low stress environment, there are other stress sources: Water quality and diet are the top stressors after tankmates.

Check water quality. Make water changes on schedule. Remove detritus from substrate, if any.

As for nutrition. . .I'd like to refer you to the nutrition post I wrote, but when I check it the pinned post, it doesn't seem to be there. I will get it updated soon.

For now, avoid pellets and flakes. Feed frozen or freeze-dried foods the fish would normally find in the wild AND add Vita-Chem to the food once a day AND add beta glucan (20mg per feeding for this fish) to its food, once day. Add the vitamins and beta glucan until the Lymphocystis goes away. Hopefully the fish is being fed 3 or more times each day.

If you can get a better, close up photo or better yet a 1+ minute video that would be great. Do a 1+ minute video up close of the fish under white lights. Post the video on YouTube. Post the link to that video in a post here.

Thank you Lee.

I normally feed him frozen mysis shrimp (usually Hikari) and sometimes live brine shrimp. I feed the tank a minimum of twice per day, as I have seahorses.

I think my water quality is pretty good, but I'll do an early water change anyway. I will also try to get a short video that better displays the problem.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back