White spots on my Yellow Leather Coral

Mikro

Premium Member
What could these white spots be on my Yellow Leather? I just noticed it today. I've only had it since last Saturday (July 14th). I don't remember seeing it before..

146_4641.JPG

are you talking about the white zone directly in the center? it's glared out.

i would be a little concerned. such appearances of "white spots" at the center often leads to rot (not sure if it's indicative or consequential though).

i'd carefully clean it off (light rubbing or blowing off with a baster) and add a little more flow to the coral or move it to a higher flow spot.

the area might already be "soft" if the white has been there for a few days. it can recover but it needs to be cleaned off.

the shrimp crawling all over it ain't helping it either. :p

Well if it is rot will it foul my whole tank? I ask that because I had an anemone get caught in a power head and I lost a few corals.

While searching for info on Yellow Leather Corals I came across this:

"Tips on care: Give moderate to strong light and good current. May not extend polyps after the following: handling, water
changes, moving coral to a different location, or shipping. Leather Corals slough off an outer layer of tissue at regular
intervals as an anti-fouling aid, and this is normal."

Could the white area be it sloughing off some of its skin?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7788019#post7788019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
Well if it is rot will it foul my whole tank? I ask that because I had an anemone get caught in a power head and I lost a few corals.
well, i don't think it's an immediate thing to be concerned about. sarcos rarely crash/necrotically rot quickly. but over time, it would bring problems into the tank as it wastes away (if it gets to that point).

an anemone is more like a water ballon, 'pop' and it's all over with flesh and stingers.

imo, the sarco's more like a chunk of meat. it'll just sit there for a while before slowly getting all funky and yucky.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7788019#post7788019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
Could the white area be it sloughing off some of its skin?
i highly doubt it's simply shed skin in the typical sense but it could be skin that's decomposing from fungus or bacteria attacking it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7788296#post7788296 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
Do you think I should move it to a quantine tank?
i don't think qt'ing is necessary unless you have other similar corals in the tank that haven't yet shown similar patches. then it might be a good idea to limit the issue (if it's even infectious).

right now, i think it's better to address the spot with cleaning and additional flow (letting the coral's natural healing come into play). i don't think you'd really need to dose anything at this point.

other than a waterchange right after the cleaning to dilute any "farting" by the coral, i wouldn't bother with anything out of the ordinary. it won't be happy as you're cleaning it and will most likely be "farting" its allelopathic "scents" so some carbon filtering can't hurt either.

as long as the polyps are still coming out and the coloration doesn't get mottled i think it'll be fine afterwards.

the flow shouldn't be too strong though. moderate, 2"~4"/sec., intermittent flow would be best imo.

Well I reached in there with a clean paper towel and was able to just brush that white stuff right off :)
It was almost like a fine powder.
My wife tells me she thinks it may be from when we used Joe's Juice to kill some aptaisia Honestly I can't remember if we already had the leather or not...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7789626#post7789626 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
Well I reached in there with a clean paper towel and was able to just brush that white stuff right off :)
It was almost like a fine powder.
My wife tells me she thinks it may be from when we used Joe's Juice to kill some aptaisia Honestly I can't remember if we already had the leather or not...
i don't think it'd be joe's juice. i believe it's predominantly lime/kalk. if so, it would've burned the coral flesh like acid (or a caustic in this case).

otoh, it could've resulted from being irritated by something like that (if it was in the same time period) if left for a few moments even, sort of like a bruising or burn/welt effect. but i doubt the "powder" you removed is the actual joe's juice residue.

btw you should have enough flow to clear the cap of occasional debris. or you should blow clean it every now and then. periodic coral hygiene is critical for a couple of species of sarcos imo (especially vase-shaped species, e.g. s. roseum). lack of true wave motion allows detritus buildup on the caps sometimes.

there are a couple of different "white spot" issues that commonly affect sarcos. one is a powdery residue (usually a little fluffy ime, almost like ich), another is a "scabbing-effect" (similar looking to shedding but much more localized/smaller), sometimes detritus left on a cap will discolor the flesh beneath (vase-shape problem mentioned above), and hitchhikers sometimes look like white spots (sometimes harmless and sometimes parasitic bloodsucking coralivores! :mad2: ).

the shrimp may be bothering it but there's not much you could do about it without removing one of the parties. i was more kidding than serious. but it definitely could bother it like an occasional wandering hermit would when crawling over it. if the shrimp decides to bunk on the coral all the time i would think about removal but otherwise live and let live imo.

What kind of flow do you have in there? From what I know, yellow leathers need good flow. I have mine in good flow and anything less and it starts to look bad.
In your picture, yours looks deflated.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7792946#post7792946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smp
What kind of flow do you have in there? From what I know, yellow leathers need good flow. I have mine in good flow and anything less and it starts to look bad.
In your picture, yours looks deflated.

Well I had to choose between flow and light intensity. I went for the light. The flow isn't too bad though.
I am thinking it deflates because the cleaner shrimp keeps walking around on it and hanging from it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7793501#post7793501 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikro
The white stuff is back...
clean it off again. try to siphon the residue out as well (not just brushing off).

did the polyps sprout back out after you cleaned it off the first time?

have you increased the waterflow directed at the coral or moved it into a higher flow location?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7793616#post7793616 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tinyreef
clean it off again. try to siphon the residue out as well (not just brushing off).

did the polyps sprout back out after you cleaned it off the first time?

have you increased the waterflow directed at the coral or moved it into a higher flow location?

Ok this time I'll use the turkey baster.
The polyps looked like little bumps. Is that the way they are suppose to look or is suppose to be like a little flower thing?

I just bought some more live rock which I'm curing. As soon as it ready (zero ammonia?) I'll be redoing the rocks a bit and will be able to get it more flow. I had read that it is bad to keep moving it around after first getting it as it stresses it..

I just increase the flow over the leather by directing the return pump at it. That may also discourage the cleaner from climbing all over it, well see.
I used the turkey baster and it worked really good.

the polyps are supposed to look like flower things. serenei (if that's what it is) does show more prominently protruded polyps when retracted than elegans though. so in that sense, it's normal but it shows an unhappy "state".

zero ammonia isn't enough. at the very least the nitrites should be zero too and the nitrates should be lowish at least (20~40 ppm?), preferably zero too though.

i would tend to agree with the moving around comment. corals tend to grow into wherever they sit, i.e. slowly adjusting to water, light, neighbors, etc. if they're moved around constantly or often they won't be able to adjust or adjust incorrectly imo.

yellow leathers a bad shippers. The first thing I would do is frag a piece of the heathy tissue and toothpick it to a rock. If you frag a few pieces, at least you could regrow the colony, The cleaner would not be bothering it unless something were wrong.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7795318#post7795318 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jbittner
yellow leathers a bad shippers. The first thing I would do is frag a piece of the heathy tissue and toothpick it to a rock. If you frag a few pieces, at least you could regrow the colony, The cleaner would not be bothering it unless something were wrong.

Could you be a little more specific as to how to frag it? Or give me a link that explains it?
When its fragged do you loose the parent?

Back