Will my sand settle?

derrick80f

I dont think I made the best decision in adding my sand. I poured it in with the tank two-thirds full of water. Now for 10 hours it has been cloudy. Also, the bags said live aragonite sand but there was no water in the bag like last time and the sand was very fine. It looked like regular dry beach sand. I added the water clarifier packets that came with the sand right after I put it in, but that didn't help. Am I going to have to drain that 150 gallons and refill carefully or will it settle with time? Also there is white foam building up all over the surface of the water.

Last edited:
It will settle with time, though it may take a couple days. If the tank has a sump, running a filter sock may help.

That foam should also go away over time but you may be able to remove some of it with a net if it’s thick enough. Or if you have an overflow, pushing it towards your overflow to be taken to your sump

It is Caribsea ocean direct sand, says live sand but it clearly isn't. I drained almost all of the water and every time I just touch the sandbed, it stirs up clouds of sand. Why would they sell beach sand for an aquarium? I dont understand who would put that in their tank knowing what it was? I sure didn't know.

Back