Worth fixing 48" MH fixture or buy new?

ryanhayes96

Hey there!

I have been away from the hobby for about 5 years now and am considering getting back in. I have a Current USA SunPod 48" 2x250 watt MH fixture with moonlights that I used back on my 75. The problem is is that I had kept it in storage and while it does start, the fans in the actual fixture are not working and the same goes for the 2 fans in the ballasts respectively. I would also have to replace both of the MH bulbs and I think I remember that the moonlights were not actually functioning towards the end of the tank which honestly are not a much of a concern to me.

Now from what I can see is that the two bulbs are going to run be about $100 to replace both and I would imagine the three fans are going to run another $50 or so and that is if I can even get them functioning in the actual ballasts. If not, it seems (if I can even find two, they seem hard to find as the light is continued) they run about $40-50 each as well which could set me back about $200 to get the light fully functioning.

My main question is is does it sound like something that is worth the investment in fixing? From what I can see, it seems that LED is the new thing when it comes to lighting but I am not really able to spend $800 or so on just a lighting fixture at the moment. Would I be better off in looking into a newer MH/T5 combination fixture? I would imagine the prices have dropped a bit, but it seems the fixture I currently have is around $400 or so still.

Thank You.

$200 is a lot cheaper than anything your going to find new. If you keep checking you might be able to find a used t5 or MH unit somewhere. If you had success in the past with what you plan to currently do with the light, I personally would fix it up.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am just not sure how effective an only MH fixture vs MH and T5 is at this point. Would it be worth looking at a MH/T5 fixture?

Hey there!

I have been away from the hobby for about 5 years now and am considering getting back in. I have a Current USA SunPod 48" 2x250 watt MH fixture with moonlights that I used back on my 75. The problem is is that I had kept it in storage and while it does start, the fans in the actual fixture are not working and the same goes for the 2 fans in the ballasts respectively. I would also have to replace both of the MH bulbs and I think I remember that the moonlights were not actually functioning towards the end of the tank which honestly are not a much of a concern to me.

Now from what I can see is that the two bulbs are going to run be about $100 to replace both and I would imagine the three fans are going to run another $50 or so and that is if I can even get them functioning in the actual ballasts. If not, it seems (if I can even find two, they seem hard to find as the light is continued) they run about $40-50 each as well which could set me back about $200 to get the light fully functioning.

My main question is is does it sound like something that is worth the investment in fixing? From what I can see, it seems that LED is the new thing when it comes to lighting but I am not really able to spend $800 or so on just a lighting fixture at the moment. Would I be better off in looking into a newer MH/T5 combination fixture? I would imagine the prices have dropped a bit, but it seems the fixture I currently have is around $400 or so still.

Thank You.
Are you still looking for a t5 48" fixture? I'm trying to sell one that has 6 bulbs if you are interested

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back