WTB-RO/DI Unit

Im actually having the faucet built behind my tank, its new construction. I found one on ebay that has a refillable do chamber to be done every so often to keep it from channeling.
Thanks for the advice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6839177#post6839177 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Teddy Ballgame
the unit on the ebay link is a 100gpd, but says it removes 99% of all impurities, so do I assume that means it has a 99% rejection rate?

I highly doubt it. I suspect that they are including the DI portion for a total of 99%.

I'm not sure that any membrane has a 99% rejection rate.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6841199#post6841199 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ohioreefer
I highly doubt it. I suspect that they are including the DI portion for a total of 99%.

I'm not sure that any membrane has a 99% rejection rate.

yes, after some research that is what they meant....but that's okay with me.

some info I found regarding RO units

What some people may not realize is, that the term ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œreverse osmosisââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ actually has two meanings in the water industry.

RO is the process of using pressure to force water through a semi-permeable membrane but RO is also a level of filtering efficiency.

From the American Water Works Associationââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s book ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œWater Treatmentââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ (second edition) page 432, ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œTypes of Membrane Processesââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ There are four levels of the Reverse Osmosis process. They are from the least efficeint to the most efficient;

Microfiltration.

Ultrafiltration.

Nanofiltration.

Reverse Osmosis. (Also called Hyperfiltration)

I know that sounds confusing, so Iââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢ll say it again.

The highest level of filtering using a membrane is referred to as Reverse Osmosis, even though all four types of membranes use the process called reverse osmosis.

The difference is the efficiency of each membrane.

The lower on the list the better the efficiency.

What some people are selling are nanofilter level membranes, less than 98 % efficient. (hint, thatââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s why you have to ask them for a ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œtrue RO membraneââ"šÂ¬Ã‚).

Do nanofilters work?

Yes.

Do they work as well as true RO membranes?

No. Not even close.

I'll have a 25gpd RO unit for sale in about a week for 75.00 if you are interested, it is still hooked up and working. I'm upgrading, and the new one should arrive in about a week or so. I've used it about 1 yr. and just replaced the cartrigdes about 2 months ago. If interested e-mail me at pappasmurftg@aol.com. Tim

Back