Yellow Palythoa

dogman

This coral seems to be thinning out and the rock it is in is turning white on top. Also I have two new soft corals that have retreated somewhat or all the way. All specs. check out fine. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You.

Any pics? When you say everything is fine, what exactly do you mean? How old are your lights? What kind of lights?

Water parameters are fine (ph.am. nit. etc.). Lights are a year or more old but were not used much untill I bought these corals a few weeks ago. One thing though for the past couple of weeks the blue light was used alot more than the whites. With all the lights on I was getting some algae, which looks like grass growing on the rocks. Lights are pc from Energy Savers 396w (has blue and white together with individual switches), and a VHO at 160w. Thanks so much.

Please help, I have another coral, I wish I can remember the name but it has 3in. stems about 15 of them with flower heads on top and it use to flow real nice in the current. Now it has what looks like a membrane over it all recided into the rock it came with. I'ts now about the size of a baseball.. Sorry about the rookie description.
THANKS again.

Pics and actual numbers for parameters will help alot. Some people's definition of 'good' is not what others think is good. I've heard people say they keep their alk at 20 because they didn't think it was a problem to be too high...

FWIW, I replace all VHO and PC bulbs after 6 months, SE MH at 9 months and DE's at 12 months. May be overkill, but usually I see a sign from my corals around that time to tell me it is time to change... You'll be shocked and amazed at the color difference (and intensity). Most people think their intensity hasn't changed, so they don't change bulbs. Believe me, after 6 months PC's and VHO's will have noticeable color shift and intensity loss (apparent when you cahneg bulbs). Lighting may not be the problem here, but it is one area alot of people overlook. I've read of people keeping PC's over their tanks for three years without changing because they were told they didn't need to change them...

Just assuming lights are ok could you give me an idea of what this membrane looking thing could be? Unfortunatly unable to send pics.
Just anyones best guess would help. THANK YOU.

Does it look anything like the corals in the link below (stems and heads, not sure of the flower description, though)? If so, they tend to close from time to time and will look waxy. They'll look like they are dying, but usually come out looking better. If that's what you have, I couldn't say for sure this is what is happening, but it could be.

http://www.garf.org/sarc2000/sarc1.html

Thanks, It looks close but on mine the stems are longer and the flower portions are bigger. Per the first picture seen on that link.
I do appreciate you trying and it could be right, I will try and find out the actual name. I hope your right on your diagnosis.

my best guess?its shedding a dirty layer of skin and it'll be fine after the current blows all the dead skin off.i agree with gflat with replacing the vho lightbulbs at 6 months butr the pc bulbs are prolbably good for a yr.those bulbs also need to break in for 1 or 2 weeks before their right so don't change all of them at the same time.thats what the lfs advised me at least.

opps i'm sorry,i thought we were talking about a toadstool.i don't know if Yellow Palythoa sheds or not.most other softies do though.

This coral I'm talking about looks somewhat like gflat65 link, the yellow palythoa has thinning out issues with a white substance on the top of the rock. My green palythoa and another coral are doing great. THANKS to all again.

Back