*** 10 Gallon Cube Log ***

Mantis806

So I have finally decided to get back into the hobby. I wanted to keep things small and simple. The 10 gallon cube I got from Nsr250NYC seems perfect. I've had a 65 Reef and 90 aggressive tank before. This time I'm going to try a seahorse tank. I haven't done much research on them yet, but i'll have time for that while the tank cycles. For the filteration, i'm using a fluval 304 canister filter. I filled the canister up with live rock. I haven't selected a skimmer yet. Here are some pics to start off.

The stand didn't have a door in the front, so I just cut one out.
08.jpg

Fluval 304
09.jpg

Slapped a door on it to clean it up a little. This is not a very good looking project at all.
06.jpg

02.jpg

Some figi rock.
07.jpg

01.jpg

04.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

I'm planning to push the limits of stocking on the tank. Tell me if you think this is way overboard. Here's what I'm planning to have:

Equipment
10 Gallon Tank (13x13x13)
200w Heater
Fluval 304
Remora Skimmer?
2 x 18w 12" Coralife PC Lights
20lbs Figi Live Rock
10lbs CaribSea Moon Sand

Fish
Searhorses (not sure how man and what species yet)
Mated pair of perc clowns
1 x Goby or Blenny?

Cleaners
5 x Nassarius Snail
5 x Margarita Snail
5 x Cerith Snail
1 x Conch
1 x Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 x Sexy Anemone Shrimp or Harlequin Shrimp
1 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp?
3 x Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
3 x Blue Leg Hermit Crab
1 x Porcelain Anemone Crab

Plants
Halimeda Plant
Kelp on Rock, Smooth Leaf

Coral
Kenya Tree
Pulsating Xenia
Different Zoos
Different Mushrooms
GSP
Long Tentacle Plate
Dead Gorgonian (for the seahorses)

the only problem with this whole thing: the only size hroses that will work in a ten gallon is dwarves, and they can't be with live rock, other fish, or anything that you have on your list invert wise other than snails...

if you got a chiller, there ARE capinses that are small enough for that tank size... but can't be with the plate coral, crabs are bad for seahorse tanks, yes even hermits. conch's of any species are too big for ten gallon tanks. clowns are not very good tankmates for horses, and I think 2 clowns and a goby about maxes out your tank anyways!!!!

sorry to shoot you down like that. If your willing to hatch out brine shrimp, daily, yuo can try your hand at dwarf species of pipefish...

I agree, except on one thing. I have capensis seahorses, and they require a temperature of no higher than about 67*F. They also can get fairly large (just ask Debbie, on seahorse.org). I think she said her male was about 6 inches. These seahorses grow fast. I had mine in a 10 gallon, but had to move them into a 20. If you still want the 10, I recommend either a mantis shrimp, or dwarves, but you would have to remove your rock. Put a few plastic plants in their, and if you can hatch baby brine shrimp on a daily basis, then go for it. They do not eat frozen food. BBS all the way. Sorry we had to shoot you down. I know you said youwould research while your tank cycled, but, as you can now see, that doesn't always work.

I agree with the above posts. Your tank looks awesome and will make a great small nano-reef! Unfortunately, it's too small for the larger seahorse species and unusable for dwarfs due to the live rock. If you decide to try it anyway, you'll be fighting an uphill battle. :(

Tom

Not to sound too fired up or anything but in regards to some of the stuff being posted here I do not agree with. First of all I will say that of all things I do agree 10 gallons is a small tank and you should try and do seahorses in at least 20 gallons, but it is possible to do several species of seahorse in a 10 gallon tank (you can PM me about specific species I have a large list of species and tank sizes) However, I feel that if you wanna help someone who is new to keeping sygnathides, you should give them the right answers.

First of all hermits DO actually work well in a seahorse tank provided they are reef safe. Hawaiian white tip reef hermits, scralet reef hermits, and zebra hermits have ALWAYS worked well in my seahorse reef. I have never had a single issue what so ever. Understandably the non reef safe hermits do pose a problem, and even reef safe ones may pose a risk with dwarves, if you get hermits make sure that they are reef safe. The strombus conch will be fine in there but I would recommend only one of them. Avoid the harlequin shrimp they need to eat starfish or they will die, and sexy shrimp are kinda tiny but fun. I you want one or the other get the sexy shrimp. And do not get the blood shrimp. I think you will have better luck with the cleaner shrimp and maybe get some peppermint shrimp to help curb any aptasia that may pop up. Aptasia will kill seahorse, I have lost one to an aptasia before. And you may only wanna keep the tank temp at like 77 at the most.

Secondly, just because you want seahorses doesn't mean you can't have other fish, including perc clowns. I currently have a pair in with my redi and kuda seahorses and have issues. Be careful tho when you go about getting a blenny though. Some blennies (ex: fang blennies) can be an extreme menace, if not a danger, to seahorses. I would probablly stick to gobies. Also you good look into the fathead or sunburts anthias. It is a great fish, beautiful color, and extremely docile. There are a whole list of other cool fish you could do, and if you are interested please feel free to PM me about it.

Now in a 10 gallon tank you do have issuses concerning bio load, which in that case is at most 3 fish. But there are ways MUCH later down the road to increase what you can put in there.

Also, and maybe this is just my luck with seahorses, but my dwarves used to eat frozen food. Seahorses will eat frozen food IMO if they are introduced to things they physically can eat, and if introduced correctly. Some will eat it redily. IMO this preference in eating frozen or live food comes down to an individual basis.

Thats my two cents for now. If there are any othr questions i can help you with please ask. Thats why I am here, to help and to learn.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6988445#post6988445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sygnath&Elasmos
Not to sound too fired up or anything but in regards to some of the stuff being posted here I do not agree with.

its ok, this is a discussion forum, thats what we do; DISCUSS

First of all I will say that of all things I do agree 10 gallons is a small tank and you should try and do seahorses in at least 20 gallons, but it is possible to do several species of seahorse in a 10 gallon tank (you can PM me about specific species I have a large list of species and tank sizes) However, I feel that if you wanna help someone who is new to keeping sygnathides, you should give them the right answers.

ok: fuscus, impossible to find
capinses: need chillers
dwarves: no hermits, live rock

a 20 high is better for most horses. its not the size of the tank, its the height. 3x thier adult height is what we go by: which, for the easier to find horses, and easier to keep horses, the standard 29 gallon is perfect for.

First of all hermits DO actually work well in a seahorse tank provided they are reef safe. Hawaiian white tip reef hermits, scralet reef hermits, and zebra hermits have ALWAYS worked well in my seahorse reef. I have never had a single issue what so ever. Understandably the non reef safe hermits do pose a problem, and even reef safe ones may pose a risk with dwarves, if you get hermits make sure that they are reef safe. The strombus conch will be fine in there but I would recommend only one of them. Avoid the harlequin shrimp they need to eat starfish or they will die, and sexy shrimp are kinda tiny but fun. I you want one or the other get the sexy shrimp. And do not get the blood shrimp. I think you will have better luck with the cleaner shrimp and maybe get some peppermint shrimp to help curb any aptasia that may pop up. Aptasia will kill seahorse, I have lost one to an aptasia before. And you may only wanna keep the tank temp at like 77 at the most.

hermits do ok in a seahorse tank: the small, not aggresssive variety. BUT NOT IN DWARF TANKS, WHICH we are advising is the only thing easily kept in a ten gallon, unless he wants a chiller. I'm sorry to argue with you, but DWARVES should not be kept with anything that can eat them, which any but micro hermits can do

a conch eats too much for a ten gallon: I consider that to be ANY conch!! fighting, stromus... all of them. The tank just cannot support them. Sexy shrimp have a good chance of being eaten by the bigger species of seahorse, and will eat the dwarf babies. Harlequin shrimp eat stars=not good to put most stars in a seahorse tank, specially not a dwarf tank.
Blood shirmp would be fine-cleaners can harrass horses into being VERY irritated. peps are good though, but not just for apistasia. they'll also reproduce, and the bigger species of horses can eat the babies. OTHERWISE IN A DWARF TANK NONE OF THESE CAN BE IN IT!!! THEY WILL EAT THE BABIES, OUTCOMPETE FOR FOOD, AND CAUSE GENERAL HAVOC!

the highest temp horse keepers try to keep the tank at is 77-and not for long periods of time... generally, dwarves are kept at around 74.

Secondly, just because you want seahorses doesn't mean you can't have other fish, including perc clowns. I currently have a pair in with my redi and kuda seahorses and have issues. Be careful tho when you go about getting a blenny though. Some blennies (ex: fang blennies) can be an extreme menace, if not a danger, to seahorses. I would probablly stick to gobies. Also you good look into the fathead or sunburts anthias. It is a great fish, beautiful color, and extremely docile. There are a whole list of other cool fish you could do, and if you are interested please feel free to PM me about it.

I want to point out, that you are advising him that clowns are ok, but your having issues... MOST PEOPLE HAVE ISSUES!!! in a dwarf tank, which THE TEN GALLON is about all you can have in there... FISH CANNOT BE KEPT WITH DWARF SEAHORSES, and most other horses cannot be kept in a ten gallon!!! His bioload is already pretty high with the 3 fish in a ten gallon already!!!

blennies are great: order from a reputable dealer, and you'll get what you wanted... I got my midas from liveaquaria, and it came: A MIDAS...
gobies are good, ANTHIAS are not for a TEN GALLON TANK!!!!! they need to be fed as much as a seahorse, and thats the ONLY reason I see to put anthias in the tank: they are TOO FAST, will outcompete for food... there ARE good tankmates, anthias are just too much...

Now in a 10 gallon tank you do have issuses concerning bio load, which in that case is at most 3 fish. But there are ways MUCH later down the road to increase what you can put in there.Also, and maybe this is just my luck with seahorses, but my dwarves used to eat frozen food. Seahorses will eat frozen food IMO if they are introduced to things they physically can eat, and if introduced correctly. Some will eat it redily. IMO this preference in eating frozen or live food comes down to an individual basis.

which hes already got.... if you had dwarves eating frozen, we'd like to know how you did it... and I'd also like to see your lists. don't just say 'pm me and I'll send them'... I have lists too, but not by gallon sizes of tanks, it should be by height of the tank.

I do not advise this person to get seahorses. That said, I DID advise that pipefish may be alright in this tank... but the bioload is STILL HIGH

would you say seahorses grow a lot in one year? i can get 2" reidis. i'm planning to get a 30 cube, but i just didn't want to spare the effort or money right now b/c i don't know where i'll be within the next year.

yes- they will be about adult size in 6 months or so... which is 8+ inches.

like I said: pipefish!!! there are SO many CUTE CUTE CUTE types!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6988445#post6988445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sygnath&Elasmos
However, I feel that if you wanna help someone who is new to keeping sygnathides, you should give them the right answers.

Also you good look into the fathead or sunburts anthias. It is a great fish, beautiful color, and extremely docile.

As experienced seahorse keepers and successful breeders, with collectively years of experience, what we do here is offer newcomers the best advice for starting with seahorses. Once they gain some experience, they can feel free to push the envelope and alter their setups/tankmates at their own will. However, someone with no seahorse experience should not be advised to do things outside the norm.

Regarding anthias... they do best in groups of 1 male and 3 or 4 females with plenty of swimming room. To advise any anthias for a 10 gal cube is just downright cruel.

Tom

This is a past edit to something i wrote at 2:30ish in the morning.

I have two clowns in my tank currently and HAVEN'T had a problem. I have also kept the fathead anthias with seahorses and my seahorses did fine. In fact the anthias died during a move and the seahorses survived. I have gotten my dwarves in the past to eat frozen baby brine. They come already shelled. Also there is a prepared refrigerated aertima (sp?) cyst solution. In the labs we have gotten our dwarves to eat this solution.

In a past tank I have also kept a pair, and only a pair of redi in a 12 gallon.

Yes no hermits with dwarves, but dwarves aren't his only option.

When I say I have a list, its part of a comparative study of tank husbandry for seahorses. It goes by tank type (i.e. a 20 tall) not just shear tank size (i.e. 20 gallons).

Any attitude I had when I posted that I will admit was because it was 2:30 or so and I was tired. I will say this. GO WITH THE 30 CUBE. It is a much better tank for seahorses. I am not really a fan of tanks with seahorses that are under 25 gallons, but i have seen some very succcesfully 10 and 12 gallons done.

YIKES! Whenever choosing inhabitants for a tank, consider their natural habitat.

First, Conchs, except the small hawaiian variety, are seagrass and softbottom inhabitants that feed on algal films. They will starve in a 10g. Heck, they will starve in a 65 gallon.

Antheas are an open water schooling fish (usually in the thousands) that hang at the edge of the reef using it as protection from predators. They need swimming room and, as previously mentioned, need to be kept in groups.

Seahorses inhabit relatively large terrritories (~1 acre) in seagrass beds and roam their territories daily. They need horizontal room as much as vertical room.

I have seen references to adult reidi as large as 13". Even a 20g tank will be too small for these horses.

Personally I keep my 3 small seahorses (probably H. fuscus, 4.5" in size) in a 40g tank and that seems just about right for them.

Fred

i just want to clear up a bit of controversy. i have no intention of over crowding and stocking my tank. all the inhabitants i've listed above is just a prelimanary list. i guess i should have stated that. i've been in the hobby for a few years now, and i know better to stick an anthias in a 10gallon tank. in the past, all the clowns i have has were calm and shy. but they were also all babies, and i never really got to experience them in adulthood. if it comes down to is, i will leave the horses out until i get the 30. i'm a recent graduate, and 'm just get on my own two feet right now so i don't want to make anything too permanent. sorry if i freaked everyone out about my livestock options.

your not the one freaking us out ;)

if your getting a 30 in a while, I'd wait till then!!!!

but, still: look at dwarf pipes. I think you may like them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6987146#post6987146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Swanwillow
the only problem with this whole thing: the only size hroses that will work in a ten gallon is dwarves, and they can't be with live rock, other fish, or anything that you have on your list invert wise other than snails...

if you got a chiller, there ARE capinses that are small enough for that tank size... but can't be with the plate coral, crabs are bad for seahorse tanks, yes even hermits. conch's of any species are too big for ten gallon tanks. clowns are not very good tankmates for horses, and I think 2 clowns and a goby about maxes out your tank anyways!!!!

sorry to shoot you down like that. If your willing to hatch out brine shrimp, daily, yuo can try your hand at dwarf species of pipefish...

-I agree
Nice tank though :)

-alien

I have a contact for dwarf pipefish. They are relatively inexpensive (by comparison) and are great if your willing to keep a cup of hatching brine shrimp eggs around. (I keep a jelly jar on top of my Digital Cable box to keep it at 80 deg. they keep hatching and I keep turkey basting them out into my tank--pretty simple) PM Me and Ill give you his contact info of you'd like.

Back