10 Rules for controlling flow of return pumps

JZinCO

I want to address some misconceptions about return pumps. I think they stem from our knowledge about positive displacement pumps (you know, the kinds in your heart and car). But, to my knowledge, we are all dealing with centrifugal pumps.

I'm not going to go into detail about how pumps work. I'm only a novice applicator of fluid dynamics in my job. But I will give it a shot. So here are my rules:

1) There is nothing wrong with reducing outflow with a control valve. This will reduce the work that a pump has to do. In fact, my Eheim pump has a built in gate to reduce the outflow surface area. The work a pump does is a simple function:
Horsepower= (Flow Rate x Head Height x Specific Gravity) / Pump Efficiency
Cutting the flow rate will reduce horsepower. The reason this works is due to something known as Bernoulli's equation. You can look that up if you want to know more.

2) Reducing outflow will save money by reducing work. We can modify the above equation:
Cost Per Year ($) = (0.000189 x Flow (GPM) x Height height (ft) x $Kwh x specific gravity x 8,760)/ (Pump efficiency x Motor efficiency )
Note that efficiency is a non-linear response to head height and flow. Thus, a 1/2 reduction in flow rate doesn't mean a 1/2 reduction in cost.

3) Turning your pump on or off at full throttle should be avoided if possible. It creates a shaft deflection and will wear down your pump. How many times can you do it before something breaks? No idea. But in industrial settings with big pumps, it can be a huge issue (not to mention huge changes in electrical demand loading when pumps are suddenly turned on or off while at full throttle). Back when I was a firefighter, I never understood why but they hammered into us that you never start or kill a pump at full throttle.

4) Wasteful energy use increases heat. This will wear down the life of your pump. Though, to be realistic most pumps fail because foreign material erodes the impellers.

5) Turbulence wears down pump parts. This can be reduce by avoiding elbows at both inlet and outlet sides and reducing flow.

6) Introducing air kills pumps. This is caused by vorticity of the water when the water line is low. Having a higher water line, employing a vortex breaker, or lowering flow rates can help.

7) Above all, don't constrict the outflow to the point of cavitation.

8) Never ever restrict the inlet. Nuff said.

9) Having a bypass line is great but inefficient if it isn't feeding a fuge or reactors.

10) Select the right pump Use pump flow charts to your advantage and you can forget about most of these rules. My rule is to pick the lowest flow pump that can handle the head height you are giving it (Thus I run a return turnover of 1x but that's a discussion for another time).

If I haven't convinced you, I pulled a great excerpt:
"Controlling a centrifugal pump by throttling the pump discharge is an energy wasteful practice. However, throttle control of a centrifugal pump is generally less energy wasteful than two other widely used pump control alternatives: no control and bypass control. As such, throttle control can represent a means to save pump energy. Also, throttle control is the most widely used and is often the lowest investment cost method to control the output of a centrifugal pump.

Throttling the discharge is a simple, effective method of controlling the output of a centrifugal pump. Since a centrifugal pump is a variable capacity device, it will operate at the intersection of the pump curve and the system curve. If the pump discharge is throttled by closing a valve, the pressure drop across the valve increases and causes the pump to operate back on the pump curve, thereby reducing the pump output. The throttling can be controlled manually or by an automatically actuated control valve.

From an energy conservation viewpoint, throttle control should generally be used in preference to no control or bypass control. With no pump control, the pump will run out on the pump curve. Any excess flow represents wasted energy. By throttling the pump discharge, the pump will operate further back on the system curve and will use less energy. A bypass control system consumes energy like a pump system with no control; the pump always operates out on the pump curve at maximum flow. As a control system, bypass control generally does not save energy."

Additional reading:
http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/csvtechinfo_21.html
http://www.pumpfundamentals.com/centrifugal-pump-tips.htm
https://www.dultmeier.com/technical-library/how-does-a-centrifugal-pump-work.php
http://turbolab.tamu.edu/proc/turboproc/T9/T983-101.pdf

It seems counter intuitive that a throttled pump would consume less energy but it is true. My big PW200 pumps against about 15 ft or dynamic head pressure and draws less than its advertised watts.

There is a caveat to your theory. The throttling of the output line to reduce flow and therefore slow down the speed at which the pump is turning thereby consuming less electricity - And that is the pump impeller design.

Pressure rated pumps this holds true for. However, a good majority of the 'energy efficient' pumps for aquariums the impellers are designed for volume of flow rather than pressure of flow. Because of the impeller design when you throttle back there is not enough back pressure to actually slow down the impeller speed.

If you take a Garden hose and it's shooting water 5' out the end and put your thumb over the end - the water will shoot 15'. However on Aquarium volume pumps like Dolphins or Darts - when you put you finger over the end - the pumps don't have enough pressure and the hose continues to shoot the 5'.

Also when you are dealing with extremely small aquarium pumps, the magnets are so small that with frequency (60hz) the impeller won't actually slow down.

And the 'introducing air kills pumps' - This doesn't really fall inline with the fact that venturi skimmer pumps suck air in for our skimmers. And these pumps run for years if not decades.

Turning pumps on/off at full tilt - The ability to accomplish this for aquarium pumps has only been available for the last few years with the introduction of soft start DC pumps.

I will say that the pump on my surge tank (RIO HF32) turns on/off about 6-10x a day and has been doing that everyday for about 13 years and only been cleaned once.

I think a lot of the information you are sharing is based on hydro-dynamics for much much larger systems than the average hobbyist aquarium. I am not saying your information is wrong, only that it isn't necessarily applicable to aquariums with the much lower pumps / plumbing and flow rates.

Dave B

This is true if the pump itself can be throttled by reducing the rpm, however if you are throttling the flow by adding a valve on the outlet piping, then this has no effect on the pump's power consumption, you are only introducing a pressure loss due to flow restriction so essentially the pump still has to overcome that pressure loss as if there were additional water head height to overcome.

Hey Dave, thanks for your thoughts.

Choking flow does move the pump performance to the left of the flow/head curve (that's why it is more inefficient than a variable-speed device which actually moves the whole curve up and to the right. The power reduction is a function of the Affinity laws. Pump speed is proportional to head and flow. Power is proportional to speed. It's easy enough to put a kill-a-watt on a pump and see the effect.

As for your comment re-turning pumps on/off at full tilt. Like I said, it may not matter much especially in light of larger issues like blade erosion. Further, submersible pumps hold the shaft on both ends so that the shaft is stiffened against radial load. But, if I had an external sump in my basement running 15" ft of line, I would sure be concerned about this.

I won't argue that that maybe this isn't as meaningful for our scenarios. We have low viscous fluids, low head heights, low rpms, etc. But, we also have flimsy chinese crap on the market that may make these best practices slightly more relevant.

At any rate, I'm glad you and I aren't debating myths. The point of the post is, an understanding of how centrifugal pumps are effected by our system design will hopefully dispel some of the silly rumors out there like 'constricting flow kills pumps'.

This is true if the pump itself can be throttled by reducing the rpm, however if you are throttling the flow by adding a valve on the outlet piping, then this has no effect on the pump's power consumption, you are only introducing a pressure loss due to flow restriction so essentially the pump still has to overcome that pressure loss as if there were additional water head height to overcome.
see: Bernoulli's and the Affinity laws. Pressure is actually increased on net, though there is some loss from static head increase.
Or look at my sources. No really, read them. They address exactly what you said. They all speak to the effect on controlling outflow via a control valve (to change the intersect of the system curve with the flow/ curve. VSDs act differently by moving the curve).

Like I said, it is counter intuitive, but throttling does reduce power consumption.

Using a valve to limit flow from a hobby pump will reduce energy consumption. While the theories posted provide mental exercise, I have checked it myself using a Kill-A-Watt and a Mag 18 pump that is currently on my skimmer pulling 50.9 watts, but is rated at 150 watts. See my post and a little bit of discussion here.

I want to address some misconceptions about return pumps. I think they stem from our knowledge about positive displacement pumps (you know, the kinds in your heart and car). But, to my knowledge, we are all dealing with centrifugal pumps.

I'm not going to go into detail about how pumps work. I'm only a novice applicator of fluid dynamics in my job. But I will give it a shot. So here are my rules:

1) There is nothing wrong with reducing outflow with a control valve. This will reduce the work that a pump has to do. In fact, my Eheim pump has a built in gate to reduce the outflow surface area. The work a pump does is a simple function:
Horsepower= (Flow Rate x Head Height x Specific Gravity) / Pump Efficiency
Cutting the flow rate will reduce horsepower. The reason this works is due to something known as Bernoulli's equation. You can look that up if you want to know more.

2) Reducing outflow will save money by reducing work. We can modify the above equation:
Cost Per Year ($) = (0.000189 x Flow (GPM) x Height height (ft) x $Kwh x specific gravity x 8,760)/ (Pump efficiency x Motor efficiency )
Note that efficiency is a non-linear response to head height and flow. Thus, a 1/2 reduction in flow rate doesn't mean a 1/2 reduction in cost.

[...]

Could you use these formulas/equations to calculate your actual gph by measuring the power consumption of the pump? IF you say measure a baseline first with no restrictions/plumping/head height/ etc..

Could you use these formulas/equations to calculate your actual gph by measuring the power consumption of the pump? IF you say measure a baseline first with no restrictions/plumping/head height/ etc..

I'm sure you could, though I'm sure there would be some margin of error.

I'm sure you could, though I'm sure there would be some margin of error.

Yes, probably.

Another thing that I thought of while reading this is that by measuring the watt/current continuously you could very quickly see any variations or declinations in flow capacity through the system. Could be done with a small microcontroller, sensor, and a 1 line lcd screen...

Thanks for the writeup, i enjoyed it. Curious how throttling back accomplishes energy reduction. Youd think the more resistance from a ball valve there is the harder the pump would work, thus using more electricity. No?

It can't be said enough that this stuff just sometimes pump mechanisms don't click. Even I often forget the saying: pumps don't suck. So I'm really glad that Breadman provided some anecdotal evidence.

I got another learning tool for yall. Here are a couple sources that explain the calculations for work and the cost of work (kwh):
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/12-html/12-11.html
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/horsepower-d_472.html
http://waterplanner.gemi.org/calc-horsepower.asp (This one is really good, straightforward).
Most web apps will be in kW though. I had to make a spreadsheet to show me W. To test this I plugged in a couple Eheim pumps using manu. specs. The only spec I didn't have was pump efficiency but one can figure that out based on back calculating the posted W usage.

Also, you can use these annoying nonograms to figure out how much work a pump is doing (and then multiply by kwh to get energy cost). Start at the top-left, go right, then down, etc until you get to brake horsepower. FYI brake horsepower means horsepower divided by pump/motor efficiency.
12-11-6.gif

Back