100% survival of fish exported from the maldives?

this paper suggests that all of the fish exported will survive?

what happened to the "every fish aquacultured saves 20 from the wild?"

ftp://ftp.fao.org/FI/CDrom/bobp/cd1/Bobp/Publns/Reports/0076.pdf#page=102

page 107

Page 107 in PDF .doc (Page 99) Section 2.5, last sentence states:
"Packaging methods have improved considerably over the years mainly due to feed back from the customers and many exporters now guarantee almost 100% survival for most destinations provided that good connecting flights are available."

However, I am all for tank bred, if I can find it and it doesn't cost astronomical amounts compared to wild. (I mean over a $100 difference.)

Page 107 in PDF .doc (Page 99) Section 2.5, last sentence states:
"Packaging methods have improved considerably over the years mainly due to feed back from the customers and many exporters now guarantee almost 100% survival for most destinations provided that good connecting flights are available."

exactly.

almost 100% is still much more successful than the mantras many aquaculturalist and reefkeepers on this cite keep citing. I.E. for every clownfish at your lfs 16 clownfish died in transport and collection.

I do not doubt that, that section was only talking about transport to a distribution center (ok, that was an assumption, but seems valid) and not to fish stores; I can completely see most fish arriving to distribution centers alive. It's the next part of the journey that probably does them in, not too mention that captive bred are much more hardy than their wild counterparts.

I do not doubt that, that section was only talking about transport to a distribution center (ok, that was an assumption, but seems valid) and not to fish stores; I can completely see most fish arriving to distribution centers alive. It's the next part of the journey that probably does them in, not too mention that captive bred are much more hardy than their wild counterparts.

that makes more sense, thanks.

ctenophores,

The ratio of wild-collected versus captive raised isn't 20 to 1, or even 16 to 1, but ranges from 1.2 to 1 to about 7:1 using the "40 days post-importation" mortality data I've collected over the years. FWIW: in my 1985 study, the fish with the lowest mortality rate came from Sri Lanka, and those shipments had some Maldive fish mixed in...then highest mortality rate was always from class B Philippine fish...even though those fish often arrived alive.

Jay

In most of the countries where fish and corals come from the people struggle to survive, they don’t worry what is happing in the world today, tomorrow, twenty years from now, they worry how they are going to feed there family today. If it isn’t on caring for the reefs and fish they can sell today to feed there family, then the reefs around the world will perish. They can’t eat coral, much less a Damsel. Teaching them to care for and protect the beautiful reefs around the world will take money and getting this money is simple raise and sell the fish/corals that grow in there backyard. At one time we aquarist where robbing the oceans of things and not replacing them, like live rock, fish and coral. Today we make rock place it in the ocean and then sell it years down the road. Coral we now frag and refrag leaving the mother colonies to reproduce in the ocean. Fish are the same, as long as we take a percentage of the juveniles and leave the parents to reproduce we will always have an abundance of fish. It is great when we can grow our own, but we have to think about the rest of the world and preserving that for a long time.

This is one reason I've went almost entirely reef only and my tank is now stocked with captive raised frags and only enough fish to sustain the bio-load.

The mortality rate for reef caught fish is appaling - especially with sensitive varities like butterflies. Feel free to visit your local reef shop when they get their shipment in and see all the DOAs. Also, when they claim all their fish are net caught offer to test the water for trace levels of cyanide, and they'll refuse.

I used to breed several varities of cichlids, most which, especially africans, breed like rats and will happily fill the tank space with their offspring in a matter of months. Personally I'd like to see all imported oramental fish that don't come from farming to be taxed - heavily. If a species of fish can't be breed in captivity then it's almost 100% assured that species doesn't breed heavily in the wild.

I used to breed several varities of cichlids, most which, especially africans, breed like rats and will happily fill the tank space with their offspring in a matter of months. Personally I'd like to see all imported oramental fish that don't come from farming to be taxed - heavily. If a species of fish can't be breed in captivity then it's almost 100% assured that species doesn't breed heavily in the wild.

the problem with many of the fish species from aquacultural perspectives is finding foods to raise them through their pelagic phases.

and, if the number is 1.2-1 or 7-1 where do people come up with those numbers of saving 20 or whatever high number of fish?

are they just pulling out their....hats.:rollface:

If a species of fish can't be breed in captivity then it's almost 100% assured that species doesn't breed heavily in the wild.

I'd suggest you read up on marine fish then as a TON of the heavy breeders are ones we have not yet cracked the first feed for, or they spend a long time prior to settling out. Cichlids breed like chickens, nothing to it. Try raising a tang, a massive broadcast spawner that spits out thousands of eggs. Getting them to settle out and feeding them the entire time has proven to be rather difficult. Many marine fish have spawns ranging in the thousands, yet cracking the first feed, or getting them to settle out has been a mountainous task. You just can't compare MO with cichlids.

For the first time I saw a tank of captive bred Hippo Tangs at my local shop. There were about 50 small ones all the same size, no ich, all fat, eating, nicely colored, and not hiding. Someone has cracked the code, it may not be widely known though or a trade secret. The price was not bad either only 39.99.

Back