100G SPS Reef - Where do I go from here?

I would get some more fish and feed more, and then export more if you have to. This is not the same as running the skimmer less to let some nutrients build up. Natural reefs are not low nutrient areas, they have low nutrient availability but a tremendous throughout of nutrients constantly being processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get some more fish and feed more, and then export more if you have to. This is not the same as running the skimmer less to let some nutrients build up. Natural reefs are not low nutrient areas, they have low nutrient availability but a tremendous throughout of nutrients constantly being processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! That is my plan. i hope to get my QT tank setup next week. :fish2:

Hello,
Well, I thought I would add an update. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to add more fish to my tank. I did setup a 20G QT but for various reasons (travel mainly) I have not had the 4-6 weeks at home to maintain fish in QT. I am feeding a mix of frozen food to my current fish daily and I am adding dried seaweed 2-3 days per week as well. Colors are still mixed but I am getting crazy growth right now.

Last week I luckily checked my alk for the first time in a couple weeks and I found it to be 6.5 (down from the 7.5-8.0 that I had been running.) So I started adding Alk and increasing my daily dosing and I could not get it to recover and hold. I think I am finally getting close and my daily dosing is all now up to 50ml from 35ml.

I also found that my MG was low so I brought that back up to about 1350.

I will try to get some closeups later for comparisons to April but here is a FTS...

Thanks for following along!

20180908-Aquarium-002-X3.jpg

Thought I would post a new year update. Tank is doing well. I had two mishaps back in December. I let my dosing containers run out and my Alk dropped to 6.6 where it had been running about 8.5. And then I had a salinity spike and I still don't know how that happened. Maybe from my water change but I only change about 9%. But anyway salinity jumped to 1.029 from 1.025/1.026. Really the only casualty has been my green slimer in the back left of the FTS. It has a branch that has lost its coloration. The polyps are still there but not much color. I have had a bad experience with another green slimer in the past. For some reason they seem to be less tolerant of water quality issues than most of my other corals. So we will see if I lose it. Other than that I have had good growth and tank is doing pretty well. I am having to do some pruning on the Montipora Digitata and then one of my acros was growing in a strange direction so I trimmed a branch there.

I also just added a new fish. Flame hawkfish. I really like this fish but at first I was worried because he was getting into it with my clownfish pair. So I ended up moving the clownfish pair to the other end of the tank and that seems to have solved the issue for now. We will see. The hawkfish loves that montipora.

FTS and a pic of the hawkfish...

At some point I will take some coral closeups. I have just been busy.

Thanks for following!

20190120-untitled-017-X3.jpg

20190113-untitled-001-X2.jpg

I would re-arrange the rocks in two islands style.. so that sps can grow..

your tank looks great!!!

So the tank is nearly 3 years old? Did the LR come with coralline on it? My current tank is almost a year old and I have possibly double on my glass, powerheads, etc.... My rocks are covered in green coralline, only purple dots all over them. Tank looks great though. Any pics of what's below?

3 Month update... Getting lots of growth and corals all look healthy. For some reason my Foxface died. Not sure why. I am worried I am not feeding enough for him so I will keep an eye on that next time. I am planning to replace him next week. Thanks for tagging along!

20190413-Aquarium-001-X3.jpg

Back