10G nano recommendations

syngraves

I am starting a 10g nano tank from a 10g breeder I've had laying around. Before this tank I had a 20g long reef tank that was up and healthy for over 6 years before I had to break it down due to a home move so Im not stranger to the upkeep that smaller tanks require.

Currently, I do not have the space for anything bigger than a 10g and its been a few years since I have owned a reef tank so I need some recommendations.

Planning on easy corals such as zoas, mushrooms, gsp, and maybe a head or two of frogspawn or hammer LPS. Livestock would be a clean up crew of snails and a couple shrimp and maybe a pair of clownfish or some other small fish species.

How many pounds of sand and live rock? If I remember correctly the basis rule of thumb was 1lb of each per gallon of water.

Filtration? I used natural filtration in my old tank with a HOB filter that I modded into a small refugium. I know smaller tanks tend to be more finicky with maintaining parameters so would a filter with specific media be better than relying on natural filtration?

Lighting? Want to go with LEDs. Any suggestions for brands?

Open to any and all advice or suggestions. Still in the planning phase so I am just trying to make sure I do it right the first time.

Sand depends on how much you want. I would buy a 10# bag and go from there. Rock is the same, make sure its porous and also has the look you want. HOB filter will be fine. For lighting I would do a kessil a80. I probably would only do 1 clown in that tank, or a goby and shrimp combo.

Back