10g Nano

MedicalRower

Hey!

I just put the finishing touches (minus adding the last of my livestock) on my 10g nano build, and since some parts are a little but unconventional, I decided to share. I have done this build over the past year, and have had the tank up and running almost as long.

To start, the hardware:

1. 10 g. Aqueon glass tank (duh...)
2. Taotronics 120w dimmable LED (http://www.taotronics.com/http-www-...r-1-1-catcorrandkeywords-taotronics-al09.html)
3. Eheim Ecco 2234 canister filter
4. Hydor Koralia Nano 425
5. Hagen Elite 50w Heater
6. 2.5"x3" homemade acrylic overflow box
7. Cover made of egg crate
8. JBJ Auto top-off system
9. Submersible 3w UV sterilizer in case of emergency

The livestock:

1. Black photon clownfish
2. Purple dottyback
3. Orange spotted watchman goby
4. Tuxedo urchin
5. Skunk cleaner shrimp
6. Yellow scroll coral
7. Pagoda coral
8. Rainbow birdsnest coral
9. Multiple zoa colonies
10. Clean up crew (Turbos, hermits, bumblebee snails, nassarius, ceriths)

Future livestock:

1. Clownfish (oscellaris/percula to pair with what I already have)
2. Peppermint shrimp
3. Assorted mushrooms
4. Assorted zoas
5. Bubbletip anemone
6. Enhanced CUC (more of what I already have)

Supplementation:

1. Liquid calcium, 1.5 mL daily
2. ChemiPure Elite in filter

Some of the history:

This tank was initially set up with only an HOB filter, powerhead, and heater. The starting livestock other than a CUC was just a pair of black photon clowns and two bubbletip anemones (they were small, so it was hard for them to share, and of course I cycled the tank/monitored my levels for a full month prior to addition of livestock). Approximately one month later, a MASSIVE hair algae problem erupted, leading to the death of one anemone. To combat this, a phosphate remover was added (despite measured phosphate levels being 0 at each measurement), the CUC was enhanced, the light cycle shortened, and much of the hair algae was manually removed. The rock was removed and scrubbed in freshwater, and as such the other bubbletip was removed and put into another suitable tank. Additionally, the hardware was upgraded to the above listed items. The removal process took over 6 months, and now is largely under control, when the CUC is adequately maintained. Once the algae was controlled, the remaining livestock was added over the next 6-8 months. Roughly 2 months ago, my male clown decided that life was not worth living, and jumped out of the tank, leading to the addition of the cover and the search for a replacement began. The only item on the list of future additions that is not either already in my house awaiting addition or currently being shipped is the clownfish.

The Perks:

This is as close to a silent fish system as I have ever had. It makes almost no noise. It is also very easy to maintain now that the hair algae is largely taken care of. The overflow, set into the back of the tank, agitates the water surface enough to avoid protein buildup, and was made from scrap acrylic at almost no cost.

The Downside:

This is a small tank, and a small problem like hair algae becomes a big problem pretty quickly (as with most problems in nano tanks!).

Thanks for getting this far! Pictures to follow. :wave:

Jessica

The only thing I'll say is the set up should work fine equipment wise. Problem I have is your livestock choices. The tank will be hugely over stocked and your fish will outgrow this tank quick.

Picture of the tank today. Have UV filter running in the back because the clown has been a little under the weather.

Last edited:
it's looking good, but as terry mention it's a bit overstock.. you might need to reconsider..

Works really well! I put it on a stand 12 inches above water level, and I have it on about 25% intensity from the blue and 15% on the white, each on a separate timer. It was good value for the money.

Back