120 gallon reef with only nano fish

matthewb01

I am setting up an old 120-gallon tank I have. Going with a 55-gallon sump/refugium focusing heavily on macroalgae/pod growth for all the pod eaters I want. I am thinking about doing mostly nano fish with the solon wrasse and flame angel as the centerpiece fish. How is my stocking list looking?

1. Purple Firefish
  2. Bangaii Cardinalfish (x2)
  3. Yellow Striped Cardinalfish (x2)
  4. Neon Goby (x2)
  5. Flaming Prawn Goby (x2)
  6. Green Banded Goby (x3)
  7. Green Clown Goby (x2)
  8. Hi fin Red Banded Goby (x2)
  9. Court Jester Goby
  10. Two Spot Goby (x2)
  11. Green Mandarin Dragonet
  12. Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
  13. Royal Gramma
  14. McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
  15. Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
  16. Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse
  17. Flame Fairy Wrasse
  18. Tail Spot Blenny
  19. Midas Blenny
  20. Blue Green Reef Chromis
  21. Ocellaris Clownfish (x2)
  22. Orchid Dottyback
  23. Yellowtail Damselfish
  24. Flame Angelfish

Also possibly considering a blue-striped pipefish. I've heard the flagtails are fine in strong currents (correct me if I'm wrong)

I am setting up an old 120-gallon tank I have. Going with a 55-gallon sump/refugium focusing heavily on macroalgae/pod growth for all the pod eaters I want. I am thinking about doing mostly nano fish with the solon wrasse and flame angel as the centerpiece fish. How is my stocking list looking?

1. Purple Firefish
  2. Bangaii Cardinalfish (x2)
  3. Yellow Striped Cardinalfish (x2)
  4. Neon Goby (x2)
  5. Flaming Prawn Goby (x2)
  6. Green Banded Goby (x3)
  7. Green Clown Goby (x2)
  8. Hi fin Red Banded Goby (x2)
  9. Court Jester Goby
  10. Two Spot Goby (x2)
  11. Green Mandarin Dragonet
  12. Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
  13. Royal Gramma
  14. McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse
  15. Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse
  16. Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse
  17. Flame Fairy Wrasse
  18. Tail Spot Blenny
  19. Midas Blenny
  20. Blue Green Reef Chromis
  21. Ocellaris Clownfish (x2)
  22. Orchid Dottyback
  23. Yellowtail Damselfish
  24. Flame Angelfish

Also possibly considering a blue-striped pipefish. I've heard the flagtails are fine in strong currents (correct me if I'm wrong)

Well not sure I would call some of those nano fish but they are not large fish either.

First off Royal Gramma and Dottyback will most likely not get along.
I Would Drop Dottyback because they are mean and especially to smaller fish. Orchid is the best of the bunch though.

I would switch out the Yellow tail damsel for a Azure or a springeri they just seem more peaceful.

Flame angel could also me a bully but it has so many fish to pick on it most likely wont be to bad but he will be king of the tank.

Purple fire fish may be bullied. Also needs a cover or for sure will jump out. But with wrasses you need on anyway.

Last edited:
Yea I'm actually ditching the angel due to it not being reef safe. Might introduce the dottyback and gramma at the same time which should help. And the firefish will be the first addition to allow it to establish it's territory. I've actually heard purple firefish are more aggressive than the others. What do you think of the starcki damsel?

Yea I'm actually ditching the angel due to it not being reef safe. Might introduce the dottyback and gramma at the same time which should help. And the firefish will be the first addition to allow it to establish it's territory. I've actually heard purple firefish are more aggressive than the others. What do you think of the starcki damsel?

I put them at a little more aggressive that a azure or talbots but not to bad. Springeri are also very peacefull.

Honestly that firefish and dottyback will most likely not be compatible.
I am not a fan of dottybacks because they are aggressive. That one is not as bad as the rest but the problem is they are like a snake and can fit through any hole so when they decide to go after a fish there is not escape and usually leads to death.

neon Dottybacks are the worst of the bunch and orchid the best.

The only dwarf angel I have had that comes close to reef safe is the Cherub I keep one in every aquarium. I have had several dozen of them over the years. I have had only one nip at a coral or clam. Dwarf angels are all hit or miss. They can also be fine for years and just one day turn too and eat all your acans or something else..

I put them at a little more aggressive that a azure or talbots but not to bad. Springeri are also very peacefull.

Honestly that firefish and dottyback will most likely not be compatible.
I am not a fan of dottybacks because they are aggressive. That one is not as bad as the rest but the problem is they are like a snake and can fit through any hole so when they decide to go after a fish there is not escape and usually leads to death.

neon Dottybacks are the worst of the bunch and orchid the best.

The only dwarf angel I have had that comes close to reef safe is the Cherub I keep one in every aquarium. I have had several dozen of them over the years. I have had only one nip at a coral or clam. Dwarf angels are all hit or miss. They can also be fine for years and just one day turn too and eat all your acans or something else..
Hmm, interesting I've heard Neons are one of the less aggressive of the dottybacks. You know anything about striped dottybacks? Just saw on liveaquaria never heard of them. Not talking about the diadem. It's Pseudochromis sankeyi.

Hmm, interesting I've heard Neons are one of the less aggressive of the dottybacks. You know anything about striped dottybacks? Just saw on liveaquaria never heard of them. Not talking about the diadem. It's Pseudochromis sankeyi.

I do not know much about them.

Yea a Neon is one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. He was so relentless and impossible to catch. Meanest fish I have ever owned and even more than a powder blue tang I had.
I mean they can be had with more aggressive fish. Also some fish they seem to be ok with.
Basslets and dottybacks usually do not mix. But then again I have several royal Grammas in my tank no issues as long as they have a large enough tank and caves of their own.

Wow, big tank, little fish. That's cool. A tomini tang might be a nice showcase fish? Also I have had several Coral Beauty's and all have been good citizens in my reef tank. I do have prodominantly a softie reef however.

Back