125 gallon, dual overflows. Howmany pipes needed?

silkchaos

Alright, So I just built the table and got my rubbermade tub for a sump. How many pipes, and what sizes, am I going to need running from teh basement to the new tank? Its a 125 gallon with dual overflows..

Anyone out there have any ideas?

I would think 1" pipes coming from the overflows and a 1.5" return. I have never setup a sump in a basement, yet, but that is what I used for my 125 with the sump in the cabinet. Halfway up I used a T, 1.5" in - two 1" out, and ran those to either side of the tank. I am not sure if that was the best way to do it so hopefully someone will jump in here and help you out. As far as how many pipes you will need I guess that depends on how you set it up and how far you have to go. Also I would think the size of the return would depend on the pump you buy. Have you chosen one yet?

I would consult with Gary before you decide on the mag24. I think I remember him saying that is not the best choice for pumping water from a basement sump...

I agree with NW, mags do not make the best pumps from the basement up. I started with a mag 36 and I was not happy with the noise and the lack of pressure/flow. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Sequence pump.

i am hearing that alot.. think I will try and find a new choice on pumps.

When figuring out how high to pump, to you count to the top of the tank where the pipe is actually going into the water? (I am assuming so, but figured I would check!)

I'm going to jump on this thread as I am now researching for a pump to do exactly what silkchaos is doing. Was thinking of the Mag 36 as well. Also trying to figure out the other stuff that needs to be done. My sump and refugium are going to be hooked together in the basement and then returned to upstairs to the 125.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6830973#post6830973 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by silkchaos

When figuring out how high to pump, to you count to the top of the tank where the pipe is actually going into the water? (I am assuming so, but figured I would check!)

Yes, you need to count the entire length of tubing the water will flow through. If you bring say 1" PVC up from the sump, then "T" it off to 2 - 1/2" or 3/4" tubing, you need to take that into account also.

My pump is on a table in the basement about 3 feet from the ceiling. So I have 3 feet from the pump to ceiling, 3 feet to my "T" and then off to 2 - 1/2" tubes 2.5 feet long, and then 8" inside the canopy. So I have roughly 13' of head. I was not happy with the MAG 36 on this system. Go with an external pump.

I built a 2' tall table in the basement to raise the whole thing up a little higher, and have less height to go :) Can anyone tell me how high your standard 125 tank and stand are?

Can you run a pump off of the bulkhead arleady built into the rubbermaid tub?

Hey Guys.
I would also suggest an external pump. When figuring head pressure, you have to calculate every foot up as well as every 90 degree bend as One foot of head. A standard 125 stand is about 30'' from the floor, and the tank is 24" tall. That's about 5 foot of head. The 125 has holes drilled in the overflow box to put the 3/4" return line, which then leads to a single 90 elbow that directs the flow into the tank.

If you are planning on a high flow aquarium, a Sequence or Dolphin external pump are good options. The heat of the pump is mostly transferred to the air, unlike a Magdrive that transfers the heat to the water. I wouldn't recommend using a Magdrive as an External, even though some have done it.

It's good to get an oversized pump. You can always turn the pump down if it's too much, or T it off near the pump to run something else down in the sump like a skimmer. But you can't do anything if the pump is not enough.

Another tip is to oversize the main manifold that pumps up through the floor. The wider the pipe, the less friction that is created inside it, letting you get the maximum flow out of it. If the pump output is 1.5", you can use a 2" line to pump up through the floor. Then, once it's through the floor you can T it off. I used a 4 way cross to make 3 outputs instead of the two you get with a T.

And you can run a pump off the bulkhead on the Rubbermaid tub. I believe the hole is 1.5". We used it for both sumps at Pet's Plus, and it worked fine. You can occasionally run into leaks with the threads on those tubs.

It depends, is the 800 gph before or after calculating head loss. Also, how many powerheads / closed loops will you be using.

800 gph after head loss.. I have 3 mj 1200's right now, but I am going to pikcup a seio 620, and build a closed loop for circulation

Each overflow can handle about 800 gph. If you have too little of a return flow, you may not be able to get the overflows to skim off the oil slick that builds up on the water surface. If you increase the size of the return pump, you can reduce the amount of power heads in the tank so it will look less cluttered.

You can turn the return pump down, but you can't make it pump more if it's not enough. Having a large return pump is really the easiest way to have a lot of flow in a display tank.

Is there a reason you decided on the seio 620? Depending on how you are going to use it you may want to go for a bigger model. I have two 1100s on either side of the tank and they are the perfect size IMO. I was planning on using the 620s at first now I am glad I went bigger. Just my 2 centsââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¦

Back