150 upgrade

dalemac

hello all, new guy here on the east side looking for info and help.

I've run a 65 FOWLR for about 1.5 years with a canister filter. this is my first experience with salt water, I've had fresh water tanks since i was a child.

I have a 150 6' long aquarium, stand and hood as my new project. reef oasis will come out next week and drill the tank for the bean's animal overflow. i am currently searching for more live rock and have another 80lbs of live sand for the new system.

now the questions:

1. I'm on the fence for a sump. do i purchase the 250 pre-built or build one out of a 40 breeder? I've never built or used a sump before.

2. protein skimmer- I'm thinking reef octopus or similar, but sizing it for 200-250 gallon tank.

I've been here reading ever since i jumped in this hobby, figured i would stop in and ask a few questions as an introduction...

thanks,
dale

I have a 6' 125g and use a Vertex Omega 150... Could bump up a size or two, great skimmer. I use a standard 55g for a sump, and in retrospect would use a 40 breeder if I had to do it again for the lower sump height.

I say build a sump and a Reef Octopus is a good skimmer. That's what I just did. 40 gal sump.

did you use plans from RC? I've seen a few sets in the DIY, if I built myself I could put he extra in my new lights (soon to come, questions when I get to that point).

I have a 6' 125g and use a Vertex Omega 150... Could bump up a size or two, great skimmer. I use a standard 55g for a sump, and in retrospect would use a 40 breeder if I had to do it again for the lower sump height.

I have an extra 55, but from what I have read the 40b seems easier.

I was planning on going the next size up or even doubling the size of the skimmer, from my reading here the sizing info from the manufacturers is suspect.

thanks for the info!

There is a company that sells pre-cut acrylic sump kits to turn standard size tanks (such as the 40b) into a sump. They have a couple of different ones to choose from... A wet/dry style, a refugium style, and a Berlin style. They should be pretty easy to find via search.

I have an extra 55, but from what I have read the 40b seems easier.

I was planning on going the next size up or even doubling the size of the skimmer, from my reading here the sizing info from the manufacturers is suspect.

thanks for the info!
Definitely do the 40b given the option between the two. As for the skimmer, I believe bigger is better... to a point. My 1 Omega 150 is fantastic and works perfectly for my tank, though certainly not if you are looking at something double the volume.

Couple of things.

I have a 125 standard, use a non conventional sump style. I bought a used 25-30 gallon acrylic (I think) from local sellers on here. (30$). And plumbed that to my existing 30 acrylic sump. Had to take this approach instead of going with a 40b since I wouldnt have been able to get it under with a full tank. It works great. 5 chambers total, with filter sock/skimmer, chaeto, live rock and return in separate compartments. Id recommend going 40b though and would have went this route if I had a choice. I like my eshopps skimmer for what it costs, but also have had an octopus and it was stellar.

Also, I replied via pm about live rock and saw you might need some live sand. I have an unopened bag of caribsea aragonite 40lbs.

4402210204 if you want rock/sand and to check out the setup

Brian

Back