150W MH able to Melt Center Support?

FZ1Rider

I have a 65 Gallon tall with the normal center brace in the middle. I just got my Outer Orbit unit and I didn't take into account that the MH would be right above that bar. Would the heat from the bulb be enough to cause structural failure in the tank?

I hope I'm being paranoid (as I often am) but I left the MH off for now.

Thanks for any input!

Peter

I would say be careful... I know a much lower wattage heat lamp melted the center support on my 55 reptile enclosure.

Just dont put the bulb directly over the support.

As in a few inches up or to the left or right? The unit is about 3" off the top but I can move the light since it is part of a single unit.

Thanks again,
Peter

you can keep it high away from the brace so it will not melt the brace or get dual MH setup for each side of the brace. If you put it too close it wll melt the brace. My 65 gal set up has 2@175 watt PFO so the brace won't interfer with the lighting.

IPowderBlueTang - what unit do you have on your 65?

I'm also thinking of maybe replacing the support with a metal one (glued the outside of the tank) or possibly two of them to give more room for the light.

Peter

Problem solved.

I think your right about it not being able to melt it. Based on initial tempature readings (around 135F) it would not melt the plastic. Non the less I wrapped it in some reflective insulation for now. Tempature inside is mid 70s. (It was still dropping when I walked away).

I also bent the metal for the replacement brace and it's there for an emergency right now but I'll probably do away with it later. I have a big shadow stripe in the tank which I might work on replacement braces for at a later time but for the most part it doesn't bother me that much. I'm sure I'll be able to find a way to fill it in.

Thanks for all the responses!
Peter

Hi FZ1Rider
If your talking about lighting I have a DIY 36 inch reflector with dual mogul sockets and 2 175 electronic ballast with 2 - 175 watt 15K XM bulbs.
I find with 150 watts that is not enough lighting for what I want.
I have friends with 150 watt MH DE and to my opinion I don't like the look it gives. It looks like a spot light in the middle of the tank!

this may sound weird, but I always imagined using a strip of polished aluminum bent into a long "V" that would go, facing down " /\ " just a hair above the crossbrace to:

a) keep the heat off the plastic
b) reflect that light down into the tank

what do you think?

furthermore, I also envisioned a reflector that would be formed to erase the shadow bar from under the crossbrace

then I found this beautiful heavy duty 55 with no centerbrace, then I put away my HID lights :D

Back