1800 Gallon Reef .... Houston, Tx

The reason for them to be on one side is because the return lines will be coming into the other end of the aquarium. Also it is a three sides viewable pinisula tank so adding them to the short viewing panel was not an option.

The total flow in the main tank is as follows.

The Return pump is a ReeFlo Goby Gold 4500GPH
The MP60WES pumps 7500 GPH Each
The closed loop is run with a ReeFlo Hammerhead Gold 5500GPH

The MP60 will be running on Reefcrest mode and will be set to alternate between the left and right sides. The goal is to creat random flow as mush as possible.

I'm hoping to build around a 600 gallon tank next year that will be a pennsula if I get things my way. So I will be very interested to see this configuration in action. When do you think you will fire this puppy up for testing ?

I'm hoping to build around a 600 gallon tank next year that will be a pennsula if I get things my way. So I will be very interested to see this configuration in action. When do you think you will fire this puppy up for testing ?

Made2Rock i have sent you a PM ... did you got it ?

:beer:

Just out of curiousity how much does the tank weigh? I notice you had all the reinforcement in the concrete, how thick did they have to pour the concrete? Do you have an idea of the approxiamate weight with water,rock,stand,tank? I'm kind of interested as I'm FINALLY having my sunroom/fishroom built. I'm building it for a 300gallon, but since its 18x16 I may eventually upgrade to a much larger tank and want to make sure the concrete floor I'm having put in would be able to take the additional weight... TIA

Amazing build. Have you given any thought to your stocking list yet? Can I suggest a school of Sohal Tangs!!
I appreciate all of the planning that has gone into your project. I get overwhelmed planning my little 280, and you had the dedication to actually build your house around you tank. Subscribed!!

Just out of curiousity how much does the tank weigh? I notice you had all the reinforcement in the concrete, how thick did they have to pour the concrete? Do you have an idea of the approxiamate weight with water,rock,stand,tank? I'm kind of interested as I'm FINALLY having my sunroom/fishroom built. I'm building it for a 300gallon, but since its 18x16 I may eventually upgrade to a much larger tank and want to make sure the concrete floor I'm having put in would be able to take the additional weight... TIA

Since nobody else answered yet, I thought I'd throw in my own $.02. I am not an engineer so take the following FWIW.

I like to use the 10lb/gal as a rough estimate for tank weight. I know SW weighs more than FW(8.3lbs/gal) but it makes the math easy for rough estimates. I suppose if you wanted a slightly more accurate estimate you could go with 12-15lbs/gal(10lbs/gal for water, 1-1.5lb/gal of rock, plus tank/stand). I know Marineland publishs tank weights so you could get some info there too.

Also, all the reinforcement is very necessary in this part of the country due to the soil having a high clay content. Although, they have beefed it up for the tank too.

Has the owner had an problems with nearby villagers forming torch carrying mobs and trying to kill that beast?

Project total tank weight is somewhere around 14,000lbs. I think Dave told me that the tank itself was around 3,000 lbs. That is a lot of acrylic. They sank pilings directly under the tank for support (probably around 20ft deep) and the slab right there is something around 2ft thick. Foundations vary quite a bit by region so you will need to contact a structural engineer and tell him your future anticipated load, your local won't require as much reinforcement. Tank this large they lifted in via crane so keep that in mind, not going to just be able to manhandle it through the front door and based on your room dimensions a tank this size is probably way to big for your space. I suggest getting out a roll of tape in a large area in the house or your garage and tape it out. Estimate what kind of furniture your going to put in there and then tape out the idea tank size based on what kind of room you will have leftover. From there you can estimate the support needed based on your idea tank size. Whoever is doing your slab should be able to tell you what kind of load it will take so you can always work backwards from there down the road as well.

-Brett

As far as updates go here is where they are at. They have been spraying some pretty toxic stuff in the house to finishing the custom cabinetry and just working on the house in general so they decided to put the tank on hold until they finish the build out on the house. There was an issue where the vapors from the undercoating that they sprayed in the house might have hazed the acrylic, but it sounds like they have work past that without issue, but it's not worth the risk to keep the system running while construction is in place. Since then they have drained the tank and are leaving it dry until it's time to get it back up and running again.

Dave has quite a bit on his plate at work and home right now so he hasn't been able to get on here and give any updates. He will be back with updates when things start rolling again and try and answer questions when he's got more time on his hands. I will try and fill in the blanks or answer questions when I catch them.

-Brett

Back