2 600gph HOB overflows on a 75gal Yay or Nay Nay?

Thebutcher

Sooooo.... I am in the process of setting up my 75gal reef and based on my own "OCD" I am weighing out my options for HOB overflows. I can obtain two CPR 600gph HOBs and was going to put on on ether side of the center support brace on the tank. In my earlier years the "OFF BALANCE" of the Overflows on either side really bothered me.... i know it's stupid but when I looked in the tank it always felt like the back wall was off center.

SO.... I pose the question to the forum members... what are the CON's of using 2 HOB overflows?

I plan to join the two downspouts to a single entering the Sump below.

on a side note, i really like the looks of the Eclipse Overflows but am on the fence about drilling the tank since i'v never done it myself before.... Thoughts?

Over the side
i-xfn386P-M.jpg

drilled
I had never done it before.
i-Xdrv5jZ-M.jpg

i-62Wcb9R-M.jpg

I would not use 2 small overflows. If one failed the other would not be large enough to drain the tank.

Cpr overflows, @ least the ones I've seen need an extra pump to suck out any air getting into the overflow.
They are not what I would use on my tank. I ran a 220 with dual overflows, no worries.
Lifereef can't be beat here.
Drilling, as long as you take time & don't rush or push on the drill is easy. Many threads to read on this subject.

Cpr overflows, @ least the ones I've seen need an extra pump to suck out any air getting into the overflow.
They are not what I would use on my tank. I ran a 220 with dual overflows, no worries.
Lifereef can't be beat here.
Drilling, as long as you take time & don't rush or push on the drill is easy. Many threads to read on this subject.
The LFS guy has me worried about drilling the tank. Part of me is thinking that he's trying to get me to buy a new tank from him. He's telling me that Marineland tanks are drillable but Aqueon Tanks are hit or miss....

I'd be looking to drill the back wall not the tempered bottom.... Maybe i'll go buy a 20gal and test drill a bit lol

Well..... Just spoke to the people at Aqueon and they confirmed that the tank i have has tempered glass all the way around so drilling is out. *sigh

Yes, I used the diamond bit that came with the overflow kit and bought another for the returns.

i-wxhLgKw-L.jpg
very cool. I just got off the phone with Aqueon, they confirmed that the tank i have is tempered all the way around due to glass shortages. So I can't drill this one. HOB is my only option.

Back