2 AI Hydra 26HD or Maxspect Razor X 300W on a RedSea Reefer 350?

samstersam

Upgrading from a 40breeder tank I've been running for about 10 years. I'm getting a RedSea Reefer 350 and considering if the Deluxe version is worth it. Will the 2 AI Hydra 26HD's be powerful enough for my Maxima clams in the sandbed? I've seen the PAR tests and doesn't look to great on the sandbed level especially if placed away from the center of the pucks.

I was considering instead of going standard Reefer 350 and buying a Maxspect Razor X 300W verison, that has 6 pucks. This should give me more coverage than the 4 pucks of the 2 AI Hydras. The Maxspect specs state that the light is meant for a 48" long tank minimum. The Reefer 350 measures at 47.2! Will the legs even be able to mount the -.8"?

Anyone have thoughts on a Maxspect 300W on a 4 foot long tank? Or are most people going with the 200W version, which only has 3 pucks?

I would rather get Radion G4's or the Hydra 52's but that is going beyond my budget.

Really, the reason I ask is because I see people putting 3 Hydra 26HD's on a 4 ft tank or Hydra 52's.

I feel RedSea might have went for a cheaper budget solution, rather than the optimal solution when they chose only 2 Hydra 26 HD's for a 4ft Redsea 350.

Back