2 kessil 360x vs ap9x w/ T5 hybrid 120g

m1keol

I'm choosing a new light for my 120g (4x2x2) I'm going to go with a t5 hybrid along with either 2 kessil 360x or 1 ap9x. I was wondering if there would be any advantages of using one over the other. Currently I believe I'm going with 2 360x because after watching some BRS videos they said treat my size tank like two 2x2x2 cubes and that the ap9x is more suited toward wider tanks. Hoping some people have experience with this!

I would use the 360x's. You'll have more options with placement depending on your rock scape. If it were a 3' tank, the AP9X would work. Also, if you get into sps, you'll want to add another 360x down the road.

I have no experience with A360xs or the AP9X, but ran a 120 under a pair of A350s and 4 T5s. It was an awesome looking tank, had great SPS growth, took care of a maxima on the sand, and didn't burn medium light corals on the bottom. I had a truly mixed reef with lost of SPS on top, a blend of montis, easier sps, and softies in the middle, then zoas, LPS and a clam on the bottom.

My only two complaints came from the relatively monochromatic light of the A350 and the extremely narrow beam. The T5s helped A LOT with this, as did my aquascape. I built two main groups, with some scattered lower stuff. These were extremely minor gripes, so I imagine the new lights are even better.

Output is similar. A bit more controllability with the AP9X, but more flexibility with the 360X. If aesthetics were a concern and you weren’t running a T5 hybrid, then AP9X looks much better, sleeker and cleaner. But otherwise, the 360X will be better overall

Back