240 gallon

Redmist7209

I am getting back into the hobby after a bit of a break and thought I'd ask some questions. I had another handle, but can't seem to remember my password.

Getting started on my equipment list.

Apex controller

Powerheads:
Neptune WSK WAV

Filtration:
Lifereef Berlin system w/refugium

Lights:
Reefbreeder 2 36" V2 or 3 - 24" V2's

RODI:
BRS 6 stage 150gpd

Tank:
glasscages 240 long. stand built by me.

Was thinking of a closed loop with Ecotech L2, but may not need it with the Blueline off the LR system. Please offer any advice/changes/thoughts about this set up.

This sounds like an awesome tank size! Since you're in the fish only section I assume this is a fish only tank. A good, powerful skimmer will help, especially with big fish. Getting something like chaeto, or other macro growing in the fuge will help as well. Without corals, lighting can be deemphasized to help avoid algae issues. So you don't need to spend a lot on lights. Also cycle the tank with the lights off, to avoid short and long term algae problems. Good luck with your build!

I've heard horror stories about glass cages tanks. I would look for another option. Just my
Opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard horror stories about glass cages tanks. I would look for another option. Just my
Opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard of them as well. I had one tank prior with them and no issues. Can you recommend another tank manufacturer? I've looked at Miracles. I haven't priced out shipping or anything. I searched some posts where guys were having bum luck with Miracles and coast to coast as well.

This sounds like an awesome tank size! Since you're in the fish only section I assume this is a fish only tank. A good, powerful skimmer will help, especially with big fish. Getting something like chaeto, or other macro growing in the fuge will help as well. Without corals, lighting can be deemphasized to help avoid algae issues. So you don't need to spend a lot on lights. Also cycle the tank with the lights off, to avoid short and long term algae problems. Good luck with your build!

Yes the plan is fish only for sure. I talked to Jeff at life reef regarding my needs and he assured me of his skimmers capability.

Will definitely be running chaeto.

As far as lights, I thought the reef breeders might be over kill. I've looked at cheaper options on amazon as well.

I'm no help on the lights, but in general you don't need a lot.

One other thing I thought of is to make the tank as easy to maintain as possible. If it's hard to do, it won't get done. Easy access to all sides of the tank, being able to reach the bottom of the glass for cleaning, easy sump and skimmer access, all the stuff you'll need to do needs to be easy. Prepare for your worst, slackest self. Lot's of us start with great intensions, but down the line…

I believe glasscages has been under new ownership for a little while now. I believe his name is Joe and he frequents the other forum. From what I've read it sounds like their build process and quality control is leaps and bounds better than it ever was. Unfortunately reputation sticks. Just wanted to give an FYI for maybe a second look. I, myself will be in the hunt for a custom tank soon as well. I'm currently looking at customaquariums as they seem to have a good reputation and decent pricing. Good luck with your search.

I believe glasscages has been under new ownership for a little while now. I believe his name is Joe and he frequents the other forum. From what I've read it sounds like their build process and quality control is leaps and bounds better than it ever was. Unfortunately reputation sticks. Just wanted to give an FYI for maybe a second look. I, myself will be in the hunt for a custom tank soon as well. I'm currently looking at customaquariums as they seem to have a good reputation and decent pricing. Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the heads up. Im slowly acquiring my equipment before I make my final decision on the tank. Depending on shipping. Custom Aquariums might be a good options. With shipping GC came in at 2500ish for total price.

Just put in my order for Custom Aquariums 240 gallon. Going to build my stand out of 3/4 plywood instead of dimensional lumber. Made a few changes on the equiptment list as well. Most everything has arrived. Still waiting on the sump (changed from LR). Tank, sand, and rock are left.

Hi Redmist, this will be a great build. Have you decided to use the closed system?

I'm still up in the air about it. I purchased the Neptune COR 20 for the return pump and dual Icecap 4k's for powerheads. Im going to start here for now and see how I like the setup.

Just put in my order for Custom Aquariums 240 gallon. Going to build my stand out of 3/4 plywood instead of dimensional lumber. Made a few changes on the equiptment list as well. Most everything has arrived. Still waiting on the sump (changed from LR). Tank, sand, and rock are left.

If you don't mind sharing, why did you decide against LR?

Happy wife, happy life. Wife saw the price tag and stopped listening to the words coming out of my mouth. So I was tasked with accomplishing what I could at a cheaper rate.

Well, with wifes It seems that it is always like this :lol2:

Custom Aquariums compared to Glasscages

Custom Aquariums compared to Glasscages

I live about equal distances from both of these tank makers, so I think the shipping will be comparable.

I have priced a 72x24x31 (232 gallon) at Glasscages and it comes to about $2500 ($2200 tank/$300 shipping). It will have Starfire glass on the front panel.

How was the price comparison with CA?

I bought a 75 gallon tank from Glasscages about 15 years ago and it served me well.

Back