240g Livestock Feedback Please

Pirate Nick

After literally 20+ years of wanting to get into the hobby, and 10 years of living in a home with a space custom designed for a decent size tank (240g 72”W x 24”D x 32”H), I’ve finally committed to take the plunge with the help of a local custom aquarium installer and maintenance company. While the build won’t come together until the end of the year, I’m EXCITED! The tank will be a reef tank (types of corals TBD). I’d like thoughts on my fish livestock list. Feedback on the proposed list would be appreciated, keeping in mind the following:

1) species compatibility
2) desire for a mostly peaceful tank
3) variety of “personalities” in the tank
4) bioload on the system (50g sump… might be able to increase)
5) distribution of swimmers throughout the relatively high water column
6) desire for a couple of schools
7) reef compatibility
8) fish at the easier end of the spectrum to keep

I’ve done my best to research the best fish choices to meet these many criteria, but am sure my “newbieness” may have overlooked a thing or two. I also think a compromise or two is inevitable (but hope to be proven wrong). Here is my preliminary list. Feedback encouraged and appreciated!

Clownfish: Oscellus (2 - mated pair)
Tangs: Yellow (1) Royal (1)
Angelfish: Coral Beauty (1)
Blennies: Starry (1) Midas (2) Lawnmower (2) Bicolor (1)
Chromis: Blue-Green (9)
Cardinal: Bangaii (2)
Mandarin Dragonette (1)
Orchid Dottyback (1)
Anthias: Bartlett (6) Lyretail (2)
Gobies: Tiger Watchman (2 each paired with a candy cane shrimp or similar)
Wrasses: Red Velvet Fairy (1)Yellow Coris (1) Green Coris (1) Eightline Flasher (1)

So, there it is. Again, thoughts? And thanks in advance!

Congratulations on the new tank. Twenty years passes in the Blink of an eye ? doesn't it ?

It certainly seems like you have done your homework.

As far as the Mandarin Dragonette, beautiful fish. I had a mated pair twenty years ago. Wild caught typically don't eat anything but live food so you'll want to wait until the tank is well established before adding them.

I'm looking into cultured fish for my future purchases.

https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/colle.../cultured-fish

Last edited:
Thank you John. Sadly, yes, 20 years can pass rather quickly. Thank you for the thoughts on the Mandarin Dragonette - I’ll keep zin mind your suggestion of adding this fish to the tank last.

When I last researched this reef tank thing - maybe a decade ago - I don’t think cultured fish were available or, if they were, I wasn’t aware of them. But I’m seeing lots of references this time around. Question: setting aside the obvious benefit of not removing wild fish from their native habitat, is there any downside to captive bred cultured fish? Or is it all advantages? Feeding? Aggression/territoriality?

Question: setting aside the obvious benefit of not removing wild fish from their native habitat, is there any downside to captive bred cultured fish? Or is it all advantages? Feeding? Aggression/territoriality?

Honestly, I don't know. I have always bought wild caught fish in the past. Clearly, price is much higher and availability is limited. Hopefully others with more experience will comment. BrianD Do you have anything to add?

Back